my toddler 20mos is having 4 teeth pulled cavaties. what a good diet?

I currently don't have a diet plan for him. Are there healthy sweet snacks, any healthy but tasty dinner ideas.
Thank you in advance

Kybamommy

Asked by Kybamommy at 6:12 PM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• OMG, a 20 month old BABY needs 4 teeth pulled due to cavaties? That makes me want to cry. Poor thing! It's time you started feeding that child the right way. See a nutritionist, if you can since you obviously need help. I'm not trying to sound harsh, believe me. But 4 teeth being yanked out of a baby's mouth due to cavaties sounds almost like neglect to me. At least maybe right now, try offering the baby fruits and veggies, whole grains, stuff like that.
    Anonymous

• It could be your child needs to have their teeth brushed after eating, including snacks.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 6:19 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Which teeth are they, 4 front teeth? What do you currently feed and give your child to drink? If we know what you are doing then maybe we can better help you.
    Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 6:20 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Only offer fruits as a dessert. after awhile he will get excited for fruits. It worked for my sibs. theyll pick a fruit over cookie anyday
    Anonymous

• What did your dentist say? Are his teeth tight? Where they surface cavities or inside ones? If they were surface cavities than brushing more often, no sticky (yummy) sugary stuff. Fruits is a good replacement for sweets.

Also, flossing is really important. It is difficult to get them used to it. But with time they get used to it. Plenty of water to drink between meals not juice. Hope this helps!
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 6:23 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• alot of juice will cause bad teeth if you do not brush them at least twice a day, genetics can also play a part in this if you or dad have problems with your teeth, Limit junk food and sugary snacks....even real fruit has alot of sugar in it so make sure you brush, and take your child to the dentist at least twice a year, to prevent this from happening again, limit candy and gum if you give it.... best is prevention with regular dental visits and brushing.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:25 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Brush teeth at least twice a day.
    Floss his teeth everyday.
    No juice. No sweet drinks of any kind - just milk and water.
    Foods low in sugar.
    Foods high in calcium.
    If you have been using bottled water, now you know one of the health hazards of using it. Switch to city water or bottled water with flouride.
    It's too late to do much to strengthen his baby teeth. But his permanent teeth are still forming and you can help make them stronger.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:31 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• He should have been eating a well balanced diet all along....following the "pyramid guidelines". Since you're NOW asking for diet advice, I'm guessing the cavities are due to poor diet and lack of brushing?

Get a hold of the guidelines. The adult ones will do, then cut the serving sizes to 1/4. Meats, vegetables, fruits, grains....juice is not necessary. Steer clear of cookies, chips, cakes, pies, fast food, etc.

I just can't imagine losing 4 teeth to cavities at 20 months! I know there are kids who just have "bad teeth", but....dang!

Anonymous

• I wouldn't bash here.......I would say lots of kids who never have sweets have similiar things happen to them......sometimes it's the stinking dentist wanting to make money....But seriously...Your 20 month old needs the food groups......NO sweets......only on special occasions......my dd didn't have a lollipop till she was 4 and never had soda........until she was 6 and at a birthday party.............Just use your judgement and follow what the ped's say...i'm sure they don't know your child is eating so many sweets that they have to have their teeth pulled.
    dottief13

Answer by dottief13 at 6:47 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Also, talk to the dentist about the possiblitiy of your child having weak teeth. SOme kids are just prone. Your baby may n eed more flouride. There are drinks/washes your child may be able to use. Again, check with the dentist. I recommend checking out the gerber site (I'm sure there are others, that's just the first that comes to mind). They give you an idea of what each age group should be eating. You obviously don't need ot use the gerber foods, but it'll give you guidelines and ideas about feeding habbits.
    Anonymous