What exactly is "kosher"?

I keep seeing this commercial for Hebrew National hot dogs, and it says it's 100% kosher. I've never known: what exactly is kosher? What does it mean, what is the purpose? I know (or think I do, anyway) that it is part of the Jewish religion, but that's all I know. Can anyone tell me more?

(And since I know inevitably someone will be rude: I do not mean this post in any mean or disrespectful way. I am sincerely curious.)

tropicalmama

Asked by tropicalmama at 6:22 PM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Found this: "It is a method of food preparation. It means the food has been prepared and handled in such a way that meets the dietary guidelines of Judaism. These rules were made to ensure the sanitation and health standards of food processing facilities and kitchens were strictly kept. Certain foods can not touch others, must be handled a certain way, can not contain other trace ingredients of forbidden foods etc. For example, a beef sausage can not be made in the same machine that a pork sausage is made in because Jews who "keep kosher" do not eat pork and there could be cross contamination."

Probably the healthiest food you'll ever eat.....
    Anonymous

• Even though I am Christian I would like to start eating Kosher but I can't afford it.
    Anonymous

• I buy Kosher when it is available. I like the idea of the cleanliness guidelines.

Answer by Bmat at 6:42 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I agree with Bmat
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 7:42 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• to add to the answer above....Kosher food is also blessed by a Rabbi and animals have to be kept and slaughtered humanely.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 8:30 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Muslims also follow a guideline of Kosher but its called eating Halal, its basically the same thing as Kosher. They also do not eat pork, Jews and Muslims think of the pig as the dirtiest animal and will not touch it.
    Anonymous

• I don't think it is bologna and eggs.I have a friend who is jewish.If she comes on tonight.I will get her to explain it.
    laranadtony

Answer by laranadtony at 8:49 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Ahhhh,there used to be a muslim restaurant across the street from where I worked.They made this fish sandwich that was THE BOMB.They also made bean pies.You have not eaten good food until you eat a bean pie!
    laranadtony

Answer by laranadtony at 8:50 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Ok.tweety (who is jewish)told me just now that "kosher' basically means clean.
    laranadtony

Answer by laranadtony at 11:43 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 12:40 PM on Jan. 17, 2009