What would you do?

My daughter checked out a library book through the school she is in kindergarten anyway she has had this book since before the Xmas holidays. She went to the library and the book was no where to be found. I am positive she had it in her backpack I always check her backpack to make sure everything is in there she will need. Today I get a notice saying we have to pay $ 10.00 for this book, I told her didn't you tell them mommy always checks your backpack and she said yes the other day when we went to the library. In good faith I want to go ahead and pay for this book but I know she left to school with it, Do I go ahead and pay and hope they find it or do I refuse to pay. What would be the right thing to do. I believe it is their neglegence not mine.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:50 PM on Jan. 16, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• well, i say if you are 100% sure that it was in her backpack.. then i say refuse to pay and make them make sure that they dont have it.. and if they still dont find it.. then you will have to pay it..
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 6:57 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• even if they find it later they'll probably never tell you or give you your money back. she won't be able to get books anymore until it is pd probably.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 7:00 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I've heard others moms swear up and down they returned a book and in the end it was under a bed, under some clothes, in their child's room. I'd pay the $ in good faith, but send a note, and your phone # and email. Then, if the book does turn up, expect a response and refund. I'd make that clear in your note too. "Damn those library books!!!!!" LOL But I know how you feel when you are sure 99.9% about an issue like this.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 7:12 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Just had the same situation happen last weekw/ a Halloween library book (lol) ,.....We also were 100 % sure it was in her back pack and returned,....Well it just so happens that I was upset (becase this book was 20.00) and I was ranting and raving to my mom over the phone and she starts to chuc=kle and then told me the book was in her car!!!!!! So I would DOUBLE CHECK EVERYWHERE POSSIBLE before blaming the school : )
    JLCCC

Answer by JLCCC at 7:57 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I would go ahead and pay it. And occasionally check the library bookshelves, to see if it has turned up. If it has, then take it to the librarian and NICELY ask for a refund.
    cam.i.am

Answer by cam.i.am at 12:32 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I've been on both sides of this: found a book I swore we returned-- and realized the library made an error and found the book on their shelves. Frankly, mistakes happen all around! It's in everyone's best interest to find this darn book! Talk to the school librarian, your child's teacher and the office. Ask the librarian to do a shelf check and ask the school to help look. If they still insist it's your responsibility, I would pay it. It is likely to show up on somebody's end and you can deal with it from there. Good luck! Michelle

sishel

Answer by sishel at 2:24 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Everyone is giving you good advice. If you do pay for it, I feel sure the library will refund your money if it is found later (by you or the school)
    LibraryLady200

Answer by LibraryLady200 at 2:50 PM on Jan. 17, 2009