Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I move out?

I live with my parents because if I moved out I would be on welfare. I have a 16 month ds and he is very hyperactive and into everything. All my father does is scream and yell at him if he throws a newspaper or letter. When he's good and playing or trying to get my fathers attention he really doesnt acknowledge him, only when my ds is into something. And when he throws temper tantrums, instead of ignoring it, he screams and yells and makes it worse and I'll pick him up to comfort him and he'll punch walls b/c he's mad. I enjoy living here b/c my ds can have alot more than us living on our own but now I'm not so sure. I think it would be better to be a welfare mom then to live in fear of how my father treats my son. What do you ladies think I should do?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 7:07 PM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

Answers (10)
  • Maybe try having a talk with your father before you decide to move out?

    Answer by smnice at 7:10 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

  • agreee with smnice.. :) talk to your dad first if thta doesnt resolve anything than yeah move out! :) hope i was of some help!

    Answer by MommaBear1129 at 7:15 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

  • I have talked with him, he apologizes for blowing up on my ds but it happens everyday, if it only happened a few times but it happens alot.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:20 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

  • I'm sorry hun, but I would move out. Look into section 8 housing (go to DHS, they should be able to tell you how to apply) and see if you qualify for foodstamps and some kind of health plan. I know its not easy having to live off the state (not to mention how it makes you feel) but your father is not setting a very good environment for your son. At this age he is starting to pick up on EVERYTHING and it won't be long before he thinks that yelling at ppl is not only exceptable, but the only way to get things done. Hope this helps.

    Answer by shellby22 at 7:30 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

  • I TOTALLY agree with Shellby22

    Answer by Sunshine38585 at 7:33 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

  • I would try really hard to get out of that situation. It isn't healthy for your ds to see a man he'll look up to blowing up like that. It will be hard but the system is there to help those that really truly need it...and as long as you work your ass off to get out of the system as quickly as you should do it. Yes it will be very hard--but you can do it! If you are uncomfortable with how your father is treating your son, then try all you can do to leave.

    Answer by Lacey1012 at 7:45 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

  • move out!!!

    Answer by georgesmommy31 at 9:02 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

  • you should move out~ your son doesn' t need to around that.. It is a form of abuse from your father.

    Answer by three-for-now at 10:12 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

  • Feed your child a natural diet and supplement with natural remedies designed specifically to help restore proper function to the brain by giving it the nutrients it needs. It's important that your child take this supplement daily, so over time the brain can heal and the experiences of calm, alert awareness can take hold. Supplements with holistic ingredients suppress symptoms of hyperactivity while balancing mood and enhancing your child's experiences of the activities listed above. Since the brain is plastic and can change itself with new experiences, natural remedies are an important part of a proactive plan for change.

    Feeding your child a natural diet of foods that are fresh from the earth, free of hormones and preservatives will help balance his blood sugar which will greatly improve his sense of calm and serenity.


    Answer by texasMOMto4 at 5:05 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

  • Calm Kids Workshops for Parents & Students.
    Guaranteed to make you laugh AND provide you with at least two dozen practical strategies you can use immediately. Schools, churches, synagogues, support groups, Moms and MOPS groups, and community organizations are encouraged to schedule Calm Kids Workshops.

    Answer by texasMOMto4 at 5:09 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.