Can I be proven an unfit mother? I don't drink or do drugs or have a criminal history. I have a good job. I have a stable home. I have a stable relationship.

My mother is trying to take my son from me. She has worked for a family law lawyer for 11 years now. I'm afraid she knows too many inside details and exactly what to say to put the judge on her side. Is is possible that I could lose my son?

brycesmomma

Asked by brycesmomma at 7:20 PM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I don't think anyone can really answer that without all the details, which you probably don't want to share.. good luck though!
    smnice

Answer by smnice at 7:21 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• More details yes please....
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 7:27 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• My friends mom does that to her when the get into fights (she used to live with them after a divorce with her 2 kids). They would get mad and tell her that they are taking her kids. (she is a GREAT mother, btw). So she';s got a new bf and her parents were like "I hope you're leaving the kids here." They are just that way. They even went behind her back last yr and claimed her kids on their taxes because they had to pay in and needed the dependents. They are pretty shitty. Anywho, idk what to tell you. Just bring as many statements from references as you can to court and also be sure to bring a statement from your pediatrician!
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 7:30 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• More details to the question.
    My mom has temporary guardianship of my son. He has been living with mmy parents for the last 2 years while I got back on my feet after my divorce. Now that I am able to take care of him financially she refuses to give up guardianship. We have to go to court and let the judge decide. I'm just worried that she can win simply becasue he's been living with her for so long.
    brycesmomma

Answer by brycesmomma at 7:30 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• If what you say is true then I dont see why a judge would let her take your child away. If you dont mind me asking, and you dont have to answer this, but what are her grounds for taking your child from you? I dont see how she could if your a good mother and dont do drugs or drink and have a stable life.
    misspriss_1987

Answer by misspriss_1987 at 7:31 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• She is trying to say I abandoned him and that i never called to check to see how is he doing. Well he is with my mom I know he's doing fine. I saw him every chance i got and they refused to let me pay for anything. Even offered to pay for daycare.
    brycesmomma

Answer by brycesmomma at 7:34 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• you don't have to explain but why would you give temporary guardianship to your parents. I think that could count against you, you might be asked why you didn't just give medical power of attorney to them I mean. It probably depends too on who took your son to the doctor, how far away you've lived from them, how often you saw him when sick, healthy, special occassions. Legal aid might be able to help you with at least advice.
    Anonymous

• I don't know what to say, except I hope that things work out. Your son will be the one to suffer should this turn into a custody battle. Good luck.
    Lacey1012

Answer by Lacey1012 at 7:39 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• If they have had guardianship of him for 2 years...

You better get a good lawyer.
    Anonymous

• no. They have only had temporary guardianship for like 2 months.
    brycesmomma

Answer by brycesmomma at 8:09 PM on Jan. 16, 2009