• In the Spotlight:

How is Wicca close to Christianity?

I saw this in other posts and I'm interested to see the thought process.

Please keep it civil ladies.

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 7:40 PM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• This seems like a simple question, but it is actually a BIG topic! People spend their whole lives studying this kind of stuff. There are the basic similarities between Christianity and Paganism such as holidays, symbols and the basic "goodness" of both religions. But when you look deeper, most of the things that people equate with Christianity - resurrection, demons, the afterlife, basic ideas about deity, sacrament, and more - were ideas the existed prior to Christianity in many of the same religions that Wicca and other NeoPagan religions draw from today. So Wicca & Christianity share a common ancestry. (That was WAY too simplified, but I hope you get the idea!)
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 2:36 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Hmm, I don't know that it is.. I didn't think it was, yet again i'm no expert in either.
    smnice

Answer by smnice at 7:41 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• They are all about nature.So is christianity or it should be.They believe you should hurt noone.I believe that is what Jesus taught us.Tony is standing over me so I cannot do it all.He has a ham sandwich and it stinks.
    Ok ,he is gone.They have ceremonies and and rituals just like we do.You have to remember.I am NOT mainstream Christian.I am a christian naturalist.
    laranadtony

Answer by laranadtony at 7:44 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I don't know about Wicca but I know that all of the Christian holiday traditions stem from Pagan ceremonies.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 7:46 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• i asked my SO bcuz he's wiccan.. but he said their wasnt really any.. so idk!
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 7:46 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Yes they do. And the only reason I am not wiccan is because I cannot shake my belief in Jesus Christ.
    laranadtony

Answer by laranadtony at 7:47 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I don't believe they're close. I am a Christian.. bible believing , bible following, follower of Christ. However, I at an earlier time in my life did practice wicca.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 8:16 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• there is nothing the same, christianity goes by the bible which states in it to put to death thoes who claim to see the futrue, ..so i think they are pretty much against it
    georgesmommy31

Answer by georgesmommy31 at 8:54 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Christianity does NOT necessarily go by the bible.
    laranadtony

Answer by laranadtony at 8:55 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• It's not.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:56 PM on Jan. 16, 2009