How much do braces cost?

The dentist told me my daughter will need braces in about 3 years.

How much do they cost?

Does insurance pay for any of it?

mwebb

Asked by mwebb at 7:55 PM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Money & Work

• Braces usually cost about $4,000-$5,000. Insurance does NOT cover it because they consider it a cosmetic procedure. However, Ameriplan will save you around 50% on braces. I work with Ameriplan. You can PM me if you would like the details.
    sassyhettel

Answer by sassyhettel at 7:57 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Yeah sassyhettel is right.

Braces are so flipping expensive. But its worth it. Most dentists will offer you to pay it off over a couple years though. For most families its just not possible to pay that much at once.

m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 8:00 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I have BC/BS and they paid 500.00 on my daughters,They were 5,000.00.I made 150.00 monthly payments.Thank God 2 more payments.
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 8:02 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Braces should NOT be that expensive...That's ridiculous.
    You can get plastic surgery for 5,000!!!!
    Anonymous

• My 8 yr old has braces..thanks to that lovely habit of thumbsucking...cost us 4000.00..ins paid 1500 (lifetime max). This is only for phase 1..I am going to assume that phase 2 will be the same..
    Dani32

Answer by Dani32 at 8:10 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Depending on your insurance.. my insurance covered 50% of the cost and I picked up the rest on monthly payments of 85.00/month.
    kywildcats

Answer by kywildcats at 8:12 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• my boyfriend has his braces done in mexico.
    i know it seems weird but the dentists are totally normal speak english and everything lol they're educated and its clean and sterile.

anyway, his braces cost im not sure but its either 400 or 500 dollars one or the other.
    i believe he paid 150$ down, and every time he goes there to get them tightened he can put 20 dollars here hundred dollars there to pay for them. but they have to be paid completely before the last visit to take them off.

MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 8:25 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• When I was in High School, I had braces. I dont know how much it costs but they took out 78 bucks every two months from my parents bank account. And Tricare (insurance for military) paid the rest. But they're pretty expensive.

I used to hate getting my braces tighten. That crap hurt so bad. The only thing I like about having braces besides having my teeth straight was when I get to choose the colors. LOL

ShaniahsMama

Answer by ShaniahsMama at 10:43 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• You aren't going to know how much the braces will cost until you consult with the orthodontist. I had one son that cost only $1000 and another that cost $5000. It all depends on how much work needs to be done. You can also shop around. Orthodontist consults should be free, or maybe just the cost of an office visit.

Check with your insurance company to see what it will cover. My medical insurance covered the necessary oral surgeon work needed before one of the boys had his braces put on, and my dental insurance covered up to $600. The orthodontist set up a payment schedule for us, we paid $80/ month for the $1000 kid and $131/ month for the $5000 kid. (our insurance sent us the $1500 and we forwarded it to the ortho.)
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 11:57 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• My insurance covers up to $1500 of dental work per year per dependent. We have United Concordia for Dental insurance. My son is going to have braces and his orthodontist quoted us $5000.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:50 AM on Jan. 17, 2009