Ftm, breasfeeding, turning 21 in a couple weeks, safe to celebrate?

I don't want to get trashed or anything, I just want to drink some wine with my husband to celebrate the legality of it. Any advice/answers would be appreciated. Only been doing this for 3 months so I'm not sure about alot of things yet. Thanks!

FTMOCT08

Asked by FTMOCT08 at 8:02 PM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• One glass of wine,young lady JK.But pump the baby some milk,for the next feeding,I think,that is what the lactation nurse told my neice.Happy Birthday.& congradulations on your baby.
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 8:05 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• You breastfeed to give your baby "the best", right?

And you want to take the chance of giving the baby alcohol?
    Anonymous

• 1-2 drinks is ok. Anything more then that, you should wait 2-3 hrs per drink before you nurse again. No need to pump and dump. Only time will rid the milk of alcohol.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:38 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• So you know, even milk that has sat in the breasts while you were indulging will eventually metabolize the alcohol out. There really is no need to pump and dump the milk. Just drink in moderation and remember it takes a little over an hour for your body to metabolize the alcohol content in say one glass of wine, or one beer, or a shot. Enjoy yourself, just do it in moderation. And Happy Birthday.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 8:39 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Uggh, ignore anon. Some people are so self righteous. Go visit kellymom.com and look up the info on there. Alcohol leaves your breastmilk at the same rate it leaves your blood stream. No need to pump and dump.

The general is "safe to drive, safe to nurse". My rule of thumb is 1 hour per drink. If I drink a full glass of wine, I wont nurse until 1 hour afterwards so if you want to have 2-3 drinks, wait a few hours.

You can pump some wine ahead of time, and have that in the fridge as a just in case as well.

I love wine and would occasionally drink. I nursed my daughter for 21 months. Having a glass of wine won't be dangerous nor would you be giving your child alcohol as long as you aren't drinking, and nursing, or getting trashed then nursing your child!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 8:40 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• wow. the sentence "you can pump some wine"... LOL was suppose to say "you can pump some milk", i'm such a dummy!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 8:41 PM on Jan. 16, 2009