Question for experienced breast feeders:

I want to bf my baby when he comes, my friends said they just couldn't do it cause it was too painful...I am wondering is that just an exaggeration or is it painful and something you just have to get used to?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:13 PM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When I first started, I was uncomfortable for a week and half-about that. My nips were sore. They weren't used to that kind of use-ya know? But once they got worn in-I was good to go! They do have lotions and creams to use. I can't remember the name of it??
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 8:20 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Breast feeding is only painful when the baby doesn't latch on the nipple correctly. I learned the hard way with my first one. :) Just make sure to get as much of the aureole in the mouth as possible, if it is painful break the seal and try again. Stay relaxed and let the baby do their thing.. Wish you the best.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 8:21 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I breastfed my first baby for one year. It was uncomfortable for about a week or so until I got the hang of it but after that, it was simple and natural. I am preggo with baby #2 so I am hoping there is no discomfort this time since my nipples are "worn in", ha ha.
    Good luck. Remember, it is worth it.
    IsaacMom2007

Answer by IsaacMom2007 at 8:29 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• it is only a bit painful for the first week and a half, sometimes less. the only time its uncomfortable is when they latch on, and when you shower. lol. i almost gave up too, but the first weeks goes by so fast you'll hardly notice. after a week and half, your nipples will be used to BFing your baby that you wont feel a thing when they feed. seriously, you wont even notice their eating when your nipples toughen up. they sell creams to soothe your nipples. i used organic cream cause i didnt have to wipe it off when i latched my daughter on me to feed. but they also say that breastmilk itself is a great thing to put on your nipple too. you express it, and spread the milk all around your nipple. its supposed to help heal it
    kiliki_malie

Answer by kiliki_malie at 8:35 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• It is normal to experience a small amount of discomfort for the first few days/weeks. If it's bad, there is a problem. Latch is wrong, or there might be an infection. I suggest seeking out your local La Leche League during pregnancy, and continuing to attend meetings after the baby is born.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:36 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• The first couple of weeks can be painful, uncomfortable, and exhausting. While breastfeeding is natural it doesn't always come naturally for mother or baby. There can be definite rocky roads, especially during the first 2 weeks. It was worth it and I nurse for 21 months though, so it obviously wasn't too bad!

I suggest getting some books. "The Breastfeeding Book" by Dr. Sears, and the "Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" are both excellent and can be so reassuring during the first couple of weeks! :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 8:37 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I am a mother of 4 and bf them all. Yes when you "let down" it can be somewhat uncomfortable. And you can get engorged around the second day until your milk really comes in. I am sad that you don't have friends that feel like bf was a positive experience for them. You need to think positive about it from now until that beautiful boy comes and if you still are hesitant about it there are many resources out there and a lot will do home visits after the birth to help you. Check out this website you will get alot of info on bf: http://www.lllusa.org/wbw/index.php
    SgrplmsnSnflwrs

Answer by SgrplmsnSnflwrs at 8:42 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• it is very painful, but no pain should be enough to make you give your baby artificial milk when you're perfectly capable. some women don't hurt at all. i was in sever pain for about a month. sore, bloody, cracked nipples & alot of crying. but you get through it. your own milk is your best friend. express your own & let it air dry on your nipples. then there's nipple cream that's very helpful & safe for baby. i also put shredded iced carrots in my nursing pads for about 20min at a time. i hear soothies are awesome too. have the number of a lactation consultant before you give birth. know ahead of time if she can make a home visit. contact me if you need help =)
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 8:44 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• to be honest i only had pain in one boob, the other was fine and the pain in the one got better after a few days, if you can bear with it till the month is up you will not have any problems, its just something you get past then its over
    georgesmommy31

Answer by georgesmommy31 at 8:44 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I am so proud of all you mom's out there giving her such VALID honest information, nothing more that I need to add....
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 8:47 PM on Jan. 16, 2009