Required shots

What shots do dogs need, if it varies by state, I'm in Kansas. Went to vet today where previous owners took dogs, and they've only had rabies/booster. I thought they needed distemper too? I don't know, and receptionist was kind of lacking in people skills, so I didn't stick around long enough to ask.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:25 PM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Pets

• ask other vets. there usually is more than rabies. ask around and find a good KNOWLEDGABLE vet
    soldiermom1986

Answer by soldiermom1986 at 8:27 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• i know in PA they need 3 distemper shots (8,12,and 16 weeks) between 8 and 12 weeks they get a bortadella (kennel cough) and at 12 they get their rabies..i agree with prev post i would call a different vet and ask or an animal rescue league or humane society here in PA places like that do it cheaper than a vet
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 8:44 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I HEARD that the only ones required are rabies. Could be wrong though.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 10:21 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I think by law all they are required to get is the rabies. We only get the rabies, distemper, and Parvo. We don't board so we do not get the bordatella.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 10:43 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• My dog had something called a 4-ways and the Rabies. Not sure what the 4-ways was but it protects against 4 things. He had the first one and 2 boosters then he was set till 6 months and got his rabies and now he will get a 4-ways and a Rabies shot every year.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 1:40 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• the only thing required but law is rabies. The other shots--distemper, parvo, lepto, and kennel cough--are all up to you. I get mine all but the lepto b/c I foster other dogs and coming off the streets of Baltimore who knows what they have been exposed to.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 11:44 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• In missouri and adult dog only needs rabies...not sure with puppies. She was past puppy stage when we got her and had all her puppy shots that she needed.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:42 AM on Jan. 18, 2009