How much do you pay a babysitter?

texashotmamma

Asked by texashotmamma at 4:06 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Money & Work

• $5 an hour. She is really good.
    jleigh322

Answer by jleigh322 at 4:09 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I know I'm "asking" this question, but I thought I'd throw in an answer too. I have heard that the going rate for a babysitter is $5 an hour for one child, adding an additional dollar per hour per child. So right now I have 3 kids, that would mean I pay a babysitter $7 an hour. I'm about to have my fourth child, so that means if I leave all my kids with a sitter, it would be $8 an hour. I think this is pretty expensive, but honestly, I want to pay my sitter well. She's doing something really important - taking care of my children. I think that if I pay her well, she should take the job seriously and do it well too.
    texashotmamma

Answer by texashotmamma at 4:10 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I am a stay at home mom so I don't pay for a sitter. But I do watch another baby that is 8 mths old and the parents pay me $100.00 a week which adds up to about $2.50 an hour. I watch him about 40 hours a week. Yeah, its not much but it helps out.
    Anonymous

• My aunt has been watching children for over 20 years. She gets $25 a day per child that she watches. That is about the going rate for day cares as well, at least in my area.
    ErinMadisonsMom

Answer by ErinMadisonsMom at 4:15 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I pay $15 per day, as long as I provide the lunch. If I don't send a lunch it is $20 for that day.
    mama2br00ke

Answer by mama2br00ke at 4:35 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Actually, in my area it's $5 PER child that you have per hour, so if you were here, you'd pay $20 per child per hour. I know of some daycare providers that will help out with discounts, though. One of my friends has 4 children and she's a SAHM and home schools her children... it's too expensive not to these days. Her husband actually has to take time off work if she has an appointment where she can't take her kids.
    pbjmomi

Answer by pbjmomi at 4:47 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Edit: I meant that you'd pay $20 per hour altogether, sorry!
    pbjmomi

Answer by pbjmomi at 4:48 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• i checked out a local chain day care recently, 250/week for my 3 mo old. that works out to about 5-5.50 an hour if i were to work full time. but still pricey. oh and 7,25 i think is the national mimimum wage so if your employing someone thats atleast what you should be paying them. dont be saying 8 an hr is pricey, thats minimum wage in ca.

post on craigslist, ask for a rate for 3-4 kids plus how many hours or days they would be needed. see what you get. alot of child care providers will work for flat rates or allow to be underpaid but they may not have the credentials.
    coralbeth

Answer by coralbeth at 7:59 PM on May. 3, 2010