help my son is biting even worst now!

I have tried all the methods and NONE of them are working. I tried yelling, I have tried the time outs, I tried the tapping on the nose, I tried biting back and nothing has worked. My son is now biting harder and is starting to break skin. I have no idea what to do. Anyone have any ideas on why he might be biting? i know he's teething and has never taken a binkie, but he does constantly bite and suck his blanket. He only has 8 front teeth but the breaking of the skin is starting to bother me. Is something wrong with my son?

Emaflee

Asked by Emaflee at 8:33 PM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• he bites other people or himself or both? id say find a location he mostly bites, like your arm for instance, and use bitter apple. its actually used for dogs, but it harmless to children. my brother used bite everything, and he stopped quickly once biting meant a nasty taste in the mouth.
    soldiermom1986

Answer by soldiermom1986 at 8:37 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• i couldnt tell you for sure. call your sons doctor tommorro and ask them if they can help you out. sometimes it could be something you wouldve never thought about.
    when my daughter started to bit the crap out of me, i stopped BFing her cause it was getting unbearable...good luck
    kiliki_malie

Answer by kiliki_malie at 8:39 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• As I write this to you, I currently have 4 bite marks on me that have bruised up and will eventually go away, but probably not before I get bitten again. Our FS is 21 m/o, never took a paci, chews his blanket also, and we can't do any of the things that you have tried except Time Out. However, glad to know nothing else works either. I know he is teething, you can see them coming thru, 4 of them. He is constantly teething! My niece went thru this with my nephew. He bites because his mouth hurts, or he's frustrated, or angry, or hungry. He does it to get my attn! But all I really do is tell him biting hurts, try to avoid being bitten (I'm getting faster!!!!) and know this is a phase. He also isn't verbal so he can't TELL me what the problem is. I just figure it out. I try to get him to bite the blanket (won't take 700 teething toys) or a popsicle.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 12:49 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• (con't) I know it's frustrating but it won't last forever. Also, oragel or teething tablets help with teething, and on the big ones, we've done tylenol drops & motrin, ask your Doc for dosage. Hope this helps!
    doodlebopfan

• Give your child a chance to talk by teaching sign language. Once he figures out a way to communicate, he won't be so frustrated. Be consistant with the discipline when he bites, and give him the ability to talk with his hands. Hang in there it is a phase. If it's any consolation, I survived a biter, 6 1/2 years later, he's ok now! lol
    Central_IL_Mom

Answer by Central_IL_Mom at 1:11 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Many times they will bite because they want to relieve the pressure in their gums while teething. They may also think it is a fun game to play with mommy and daddy. Preschoolers often bite because they have not learned how to handle or cope with stress or do not have the verbal skills to communicate what is wrong with them. Biting is very upsetting to everyone and if you do not deal with it while they are young it may continue, as they get older. That is the last thing you would want to happen. There are a few hints and tricks you can use to help your biting child cope with stress and emotions in another way.
    texasMOMto4

Answer by texasMOMto4 at 4:56 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• The first item of business is to step in the minute your child bites someone. You should tell them in a stern voice, “That is biting! You may not bite people.” Express your disapproval firmly and remove the child from the situation. Regardless of what other mom’s may have told you, it does not do any good to bite your child back, and in fact may be very detrimental. They will be getting a mixed message or they will think it is all right for a parent to bite but not a child.
    texasMOMto4

• It is important to develop an action plan if your child has been biting and you have not been able to make them stop. You should be prepared to take emergency action and ask for a meeting of the adults that are caregivers. The group should include their teacher, day care helper, or baby-sitter. You should agree on a consequence for the biting behavior. It should be something everyone understands and will be consistently carried out. The consequence could be the loss of a favorite toy, time-out, or they are sent home. Whatever the consequence it must be an action that everyone will follow through with. It has to be strictly and consistently enforced. The consequence should be suitable to the age of the biter.

texasMOMto4

• You got some good advice here. What worked for me was ignoring DDs biting. Not completely ignoring it like nothing happened . . . she seems to misbehave mostly to get a reaction from me. The more I react, whether its yelling or laughing or whatever, the more she keeps up the behaviour. When she bites, I say firmly, "No biting!" Then I put her down and walk away. I don't yell, I don't freak out . . . I used to yell and freak out, and it didn't work. So when I started simply saying, "No biting" and walking away, she stopped biting shortly after.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 7:23 AM on Jan. 17, 2009