I have a question about my chihuahua

He is 6 months old and shakes ALL the time.My husband said they have a body temperature of like 112 ,so 60 degrees is cold to them.Can anyone confirm this?

laranadtony

Asked by laranadtony at 8:42 PM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Pets

• well, he was close, it's actually between 101 & 102.5 F

but yes, they do get cold and shiver very easily because of this. you have to remember, chihuahuas originally come from near the equator.
    Anonymous

• I am not a vet, but most people with small pets, especially chihuahua's seem to mention how they shake a lot. Also they often buy them little sweaters and keep them in cozy beds...because they do seem to get cold easily. My doxie gets cold very easily and needs a jacket in the winter.

I would assume he is shaking either due to being a "nervous" bread or because he is cold.

If that didn't help, hope someone else can offer some good advice. Good luck with your little "shaker."
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 8:45 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Oops I meant to say "Breed" not "Bread." LOL !!!
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 8:46 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• out of experience, ALL chihuahuas ive ever seen shake. i think its in the genes to be honest. however, a dog that small should be kept warm so if you cant crank up the heat, get it a little coat, or a blanket.
    soldiermom1986

Answer by soldiermom1986 at 8:47 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• They do not have a undercoat like some dogs do . So they get cold easy. That's why people buy cloths for them. I put mine under a small blanket I bought him.

Answer by louise2 at 8:49 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Not all of them shake...they are cold natured and nervous. Mine like to lay in my lap and my body heat helps warm them. It seems all of the chihuahua's I've had are not "typical". Mine aren't agressive, not barkers and not shakers and they've all been people dogs (to the point of bothering people because they're too friendly). Get a sweater or a blanket for your baby and it should be fine. You could even get the heated one if you wanted but the regular should be fine. When it's shaking, pet it and talk sweet to it and see if you can tell if it's just cold or if it's nervous.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 9:02 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• He is only agressive if someone comes in my bedroom.Otherwise he is very quiet except when he is happy so see us and then he whines.
    laranadtony

Answer by laranadtony at 9:11 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Oh lisa ann!Your baby is gorgeous!Mine is an applehead blue chihuahua.
    laranadtony

Answer by laranadtony at 10:21 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Shivering is usually a sign of insecurity and/or cold. Definitely get the little guy a sweater and then set about making him a secure part of your pack. I have a Chihuahua (Deer Head Red) and that's one of the things my husband was so freaked out about when we got her.... because they have a rep of shaking and barking a lot. Mine does neither. But she has a set place in the pack and she knows her commands, and she knows who her leader is. The only time we see her shake is when she's waiting for one of us to give her a bite off our plate... which we never do....instead I send her away and I keep it consistent so that she always knows what to expect. As soon as she's sent away, she's back in the pack zone and the shaking stops. The only time she barks is when she alerts.... but then it's one bark and she comes straight to me for me to investigate.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 1:58 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Thanks, I love my baby I call him Thumper (those big ears) but my kids call him little brother (they're never getting a 2 legged one so they claim this one lol)
    My neice has one of the blue one's and he's so gorgeous. I have two chihuahua's right now, one is my dd's and he's the color of the taco bell dog and a little bigger than the one in my pic (who's smaller than average. I love him to pieces and looked for about 14 yrs for another one like him (he's my second that is this coloring/type). Maybe the breeds of chihuahua have something to do with all that shaking and agressiveness most people talk about? I'd get a little blanket that's all theirs, a fleece one so it's soft and snuggly warm :)
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 10:56 AM on Jan. 17, 2009