Mono

I have had mono for almost 3 weeks. I wasn't diagnosed with it until a week ago, but I had been sick for a little over a week prior to that. For the past couple days I have been feeling a lot better and have no more symptoms other than I am a little tired (but even that isn't that bad). I had a really bad sore throat and my throat was all swollen (white spots included), but that has gone away significantly. My one tonsil is still a little swollen but other than that, it's all gone away. Is there still a chance I'm contagious? I really don't feel like I am, but could I still be?

momma_gig

Asked by momma_gig at 8:43 PM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Health

• out of common sense, id say yes. your still have some sickness so there is a chance you could be contagious. maybe not severely, but be extra careful ESPECIALLY with children.
    soldiermom1986

Answer by soldiermom1986 at 8:45 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• http://kidshealth.org/teen/infections/common/mono_contagious.html

I had to google this one. Appears there is not straight answer. I would continue to avoid sharing drinks, utenstils and kissing on the lips with anyone for awhile. It will keep you from picking up their germs too, so bonus.
    If you have a signifigant other, You probably already would have spread it to them before you even had symptoms, so that is up to you. I share/kiss with my hubby all the time.

My oldest child showed up positive for mono and none of us, even our daughter ever had symptoms. Though my hubby and I are probably already immune. We didn't even know he had mono, it was a accidental discovery during blood tests, but it showed it was no longer active.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 8:55 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Have u been on an antibiotic? I got mono by being across the counter from someone who coughed and had it. Since I have been married, I've transmitted whatever it was that caused the mono to my husband b/c it showed up in a blood test one time. It stays with you forever. I'd say give it another week and then try it. You may or may not be contagious, and I'd say if you've been on antibiotics, probably not. But don't over do it. You'll find you get more tired if you over exert yourself. You may not feel like you are over doing it, but in all actuality you probably are. Stay low, enjoy the rest, and give it another week.
    Central_IL_Mom

Answer by Central_IL_Mom at 12:58 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• btw, I got mono in 1994, I met my hubby in 1996. So..............lol
    Central_IL_Mom

Answer by Central_IL_Mom at 1:00 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Mono is caused by a virus, antibiotics do not do anything just...just wanted to chime in.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:54 AM on Jan. 17, 2009