my son has a temp of 103.4 and is throwing up .....what is the highest temp before i should bring him to hospital?

jenlucsmom

Asked by jenlucsmom at 5:12 PM on Feb. 6, 2012 in Kids' Health

• Have you given him Tylenol? That is pretty high, if Tylenol is not bringing it down I would take him, YES!
    Strip him down, cool baths & cold cloths for his body, lots of fluids. GL to you.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 5:15 PM on Feb. 6, 2012

• I'd give a dose of motrin and check temp again in 90 minutes

if it wasn't at least down to 101.5 I'd head in

good luck!!!!!!!!!!!

PS nothing to eat or drink in spite of begging til 45 mins with no puking or you'll start a vicious cycle of misery
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:22 PM on Feb. 6, 2012

• How long has the fever and throwing up been occurring for? If it just started and tylenol/mortin seems to be working then I would wait but if his temp spikes take him in. If he has had this fever for a while and the medicine isn't working or he seems to be dehydrated I would take him in. Dehydration symptoms in young kids is dark urine with strong smell, sunken in skin and features, and lethargic. Try to get liquids into him anyway you can. My ds caught a stomach virus and lived on Popsicles for like two days because that was all he could keep down.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 5:34 PM on Feb. 6, 2012

• tylenol and motrin
    I'd call the pediatrician.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:04 PM on Feb. 6, 2012

• If his temperature reaches 104 or higher take him in immediately. Tylenol/motrin is a good place to start, but with the baths and cloths make them lukewarm, not cold. With a fever as high as what he has, cold baths can be too much of a shock to his system and cause damage. Also, where are you taking his temperature? If it's under the arm add a degree. If it's under the tongue I'm not sure. Rectal is the most accurate, but also the most invasive.

Hope your little guy gets better soon, sick kids, especially young ones, are NO FUN!
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:13 PM on Feb. 6, 2012

• has he had motrin, and luke warm baths? If it still isnt coming down I would take him in, esp if the vommiting is ongoing.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 7:03 PM on Feb. 6, 2012

• I would give motrin and a cool cloth on the forehead.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:08 PM on Feb. 6, 2012

• I would not go to the hospital but make an appt at your pediatrician and give tylenol or motrin
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 1:39 PM on Feb. 7, 2012