Headbutting?

How do I get my 1yr old to stop headbutting? He doesnt do it on purpose. When he is sitting in my lap he will fling his head back and hit me, at times I have thought he broke my nose (yes his head is that hard) well a min ago he was sitting in his sisters lap watching a movie and he did the same to her and busted her bottom lip and made her loose tooth start to bleed! he has a really hard head and does not relize he hurts us! I have told him "No" and showed him he hurst us when he does it, but he still does it! how else can I get my 1 year old to stop it? I do not want to stop holding him nor does his sister!

SkylaReneeMom

Asked by SkylaReneeMom at 6:02 PM on Feb. 6, 2012 in Toddlers (1-2)

• OUCH that hurts. I think its something they outgrow pretty quickly.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:26 PM on Feb. 6, 2012

• When my kids did that to me I would say, "Ouch!" and put them down on the floor or on the couch next to me for a little while. If they tried to climb back into my lap immediately I'd tell them, "No. You hurt me. I don't want you in my lap right now". They grow out of it pretty quickly.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:46 PM on Feb. 6, 2012

• My son use to love to headbutt and I didn't find anyway to stop the behavior. I would let him know he hurt me and then place him away from me, but he just eventually stopped doing when he figured out it hurt him too.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 6:57 PM on Feb. 6, 2012