Feeding schedule....

My daughter is 4 months old and I am starting to introduce solids... any ideas on how to get her on a schedule?

She has eating from a spoon down with rice cereal... but I have no idea what time of the day or how much food she should be eating....

Any suggestions...

SarahJoy13

Asked by SarahJoy13 at 8:51 PM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i started my son out on solids with simple fruits and veggies mixed with rice and oatmeal, 3 times a day. i did about 3 or 4 ounces at a time. once you get used to the cues, like when shes full and wants more, youll be able to tell how much for sure, and then when. its a trial and error process, but as long as she has enough formula right now until you both get the hang of it shell be well nourished. ask your pedia too if your still not sure. remember when it comes to your childrens health, were not dr.s, not too many of us anyway. good luck and get lots of bibs and napkins
    soldiermom1986

Answer by soldiermom1986 at 8:57 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• My dd had her well visit today and the pediatrician said to start feeding her 1tbs of breast milk or formula with 1tbs of cereal, then to gradually increase it, she also said the feed her bottle (her regular amount) and she will quit eating when she's full, however, I determine how much formula to give her depending on how much cereal she eats, if she eats the whole bowl of cereal then I only give her a 3-4 oz bottle, I just feel like her little tummy would get overloaded if she ate an entire 6 oz bottle...
    Anonymous

• She is getting all the nutrients she needs from breast milk or formula so don't pressure yourself or her to get food in. For the most part...you just want to follow her lead. In the beginning she will only take a tablespoon of watery cereal once a day. Then, gradually increase the quantity, decrease the water and increase the frequency. You can begin introducing new foods one at a time using the four day rule...i.e. wait four days inbetween new foods. This way, if she has a reaction, you know which food caused it. I started with Rice Cereal, then barley then oatmeal (single grain for all) then I started fruits and veggies...squash, sweet potato, banana, apple, pear, avocado, etc. My daughter is 9 mo. and gets 3 meals a day, 3 bottles of formula and snacks as needed. Hope that helps.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 8:59 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I am warning you now... You are going to get a whole bunch of crap from people here about starting solids so soon but I did it and my kid is fine. Just tune them out. At that age I just gave her some cereal as a snack. She still got the same amount of formula but I gave her one feeding of cereal between bottles. I did that once a day. I picked the time that was the easiest for me and would be the least stressful for both of us. This should be a learning experiance for both of you. Cereal shouldnt replace the formula or breastmilk so it shouldn't supplement it. Then at six months I started fruits and veggies and gradually it replaced her bottles. LIke the previous person said follow her lead. This is a learning experiance. No two babies are alike.
    GraciesMommy25

Answer by GraciesMommy25 at 9:27 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• When do you eat your meals? Work it into your normal meal schedule NOW so you don't have to switch things around and possibly have a fight on your hands later.

I don't know..just always made sense to me that the baby would get it's meal the same time we ate...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:33 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I also started my LO on solids at four months (he's now 6 months on the 24th of Jan), and he does 3 "meals" a day. He has cereal and a bottle in the morning when he's ready (usually about an hour after he wakes up), then he has lunch and dinner. Sometimes, he doesn't finish his whole bottle, other times he wants more...just like us when we want to eat more or less. Occasionally he'll get a night time bottle right before bed, depending on when his dinner feeding was. Just go with what works for you and your LO, it's a trial and error process (like someone else said). You will find what works for you.
    happymom0724

Answer by happymom0724 at 10:23 PM on Jan. 16, 2009