Painting an accent wall: What color goes well with dark wood furniture and a white metal bed?

I have a dilemma. I just bought this really cute bed for my toddler from IKEA. It is white and metal, if you want to look it up on their website, it is the MINNEN extendable bed. The walls in her room are an off-white color and the bed just blends right in, I want it to stand out more. So I want to paint an accent wall where the bed is, but I am having such a hard time figuring out which color to use.

I have been going for an old-fashioned style in there; an antique look, or "shabby chic" I guess. I don't want to use any shades of pink, I want the color to grow with her and/or not scare off future buyers if we sell.

Other colors in the room:

A dresser that is a very dark wood - looks like a walnut to me.
A toy chest that is a cherry wood
A little rocking chair that is an orange/red color that is a bit distressed, made to look old and used.
A large framed saying above the dresser (opposite wall from the bed), that is in a dark wood and linen color.
This is her bedding: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00524VGZW/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details, which is very similar to some quilted wall decorations I made for her with her initials that are above her bed (the wall that needs to be painted.
I also made her a magnet board that I painted in a neutral beige/brown color, with her name painted in a rose color. (on the wall with the window)
There are brass fixtures in the room.

Any help or ideas would be great! Thanks!

AngelPuff.

Asked by AngelPuff. at 7:42 PM on Feb. 6, 2012 in Home & Garden

• I would go with a dark brown or red.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 7:44 PM on Feb. 6, 2012

• terracotta or pale/silvery blue
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 7:48 PM on Feb. 6, 2012

• I say blue..Watery is a pretty color-its a Sherwin Williams paint color.
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 7:56 PM on Feb. 6, 2012

• Taupe
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 8:00 PM on Feb. 6, 2012

• Cranberry red
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 8:02 PM on Feb. 6, 2012

• slate blue and decorate with chocolate accents.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 8:07 PM on Feb. 6, 2012

• With wood I would stick to natural colors. I don't think the white bed would throw anyone off. I like soft green colors with wood furniture. Plus, it's not too stimulating to the eye, depending on if your child is sensitive to colors.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:20 PM on Feb. 6, 2012

• I would go with a taupe or even a Chocolate
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 9:09 PM on Feb. 6, 2012

• What about a warm brown or golden shade? Something that's similar to the brass you mentioned?
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:56 PM on Feb. 6, 2012

• I think I too would go with the red but I would do a light sand color on the other 3. A white room with a red accent wall int eh right light, makes the white walls appear pink.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:58 PM on Feb. 6, 2012