• In the Spotlight:

How do you get your child to keep their clothes on??!

My daughter is 2 and just does not want to keep her clothes on i don't know what to do!

Love2beMom

Asked by Love2beMom at 12:00 PM on Jul. 18, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Why don't you set out 3 different outfits and let her choose her own cloths that she wants to wear. Tell her she's a big girl now, and big girls dress themselves and has to keep the clothes on. This usually makes them excited and they want to keep the clothes on to show off how big they are. lol
    Anonymous

• I like the anonymous answer. I'd probably also suggest maybe letting her pick out a couple new things at the store to get her excited, but I know we're ALL tight on money right now.

I'd play into whatever she's interested (i.e. "ballerinas can't perform if they don't wear clothes" sometimes that works...)
    deelucas

Answer by deelucas at 12:06 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I don't. The only time my boy child wears clothes is when we go out. The minute we get home he starts asking me to take them off. He hates them, and I don't blame him. I'd run around nekkid all the time too if I could.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 12:16 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Some kids do go through this stage. I would allow her to make her choice, too. I can't keep shoes on any of my kids. As soon as we arrive home or get into the car, the shoes come off. It is a big joke that our "cajun" children can not eat with their shoes on..lol My grandson was the one that it was hard to keep his clothes on him. We finally realized he had a sensitivity to the type of cloth that touched his skin! We invested in ALL cotton clothes and he is fine now =)
    ladyoprayer2

Answer by ladyoprayer2 at 2:00 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Duct Tape fixes everything! lol .. im with the ladies who said let their kids pick out their clothes. I use to have a hard time with my son keeping his clothes on. But once i started letting him pick out what he wanted to wear he seemed to keep on what he had on. I also buy clothes with his favorite characters on them, but I think at heart he really wants to be a nudist!
    BryantsMamma

Answer by BryantsMamma at 10:12 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I went through that with my kids at that age and at 4 they still do it. I used to try making them keep clothes on but I don't have a problem with it now except for all the "clean" used clothes I find around the house and outside. To me, it's just not a battle I want to fight. We do, though, live out in the country. I think as long as she's in the house, why fight about clothes. Soon enough, when she's older, you'll think back at how cute she was and wonder why you worried about it. That is what I have done many, many times as mine have gotten older and learned to just let them do their thing as long as no one is getting hurt.
    tripsmom1

Answer by tripsmom1 at 9:56 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• LOL, when we were stationed in Hawaii Imy youngest was a nudist. It was all I could do to keep him dressed. I told him if he wanted to be naked he had to go potty in the toilet every time. He trained himself in 2 weeks. I just let him do it. I did finally find some osh kosk overalls that were shorts. As long as I let him wear them alone with no shirt he was fine.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:11 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• cont- Well I said he was fine. He grew out of it...sort of. I know have a 22 yr old who undresses as soon as he gets home from work and runs around his apt in boxers. Drives his fiance crazy. The UPS man wasn't to thrilled either. LOL
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:13 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• Duct tape! LOL
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 10:51 AM on Jul. 19, 2008