do you teach your kids about your faith only?

Do you teach your kids about all faiths and why you believe in yours or do you only teach that your faith is right and the only one. I grew up in a christian school and went to a christian church and was taught that if i didnt belive this i was "going to HELL" i am not longer christian and teach my child about all religions and what they belive so later in life she can choose her own religion based on what she belives is true.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:01 PM on Jul. 18, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I will raise my son in my beliefs, however he will know that just because this is my religion and my belief, it does not mean it is the only correct one out there.. when he is of age and has an expressed interest in other beliefs i will show him and teach him of other beliefs and let him decide what it is that he believes and how he chooses to worship and such... and if he chooses a different belief than i, that will be fine, i never want to stop my son from thinking for himself and possibly hinder him from making a decision that could benefit him better
    mfialdrdickhaus

Answer by mfialdrdickhaus at 1:10 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• Right now because of their age YES, I only directly teach them about My (our) Faith. They're young and I want them to have a strong foundation before exposing them to other faiths. I want them to be able to make real comparisons, etc.

They know that they (we) are Catholic-Christians, but they also know that they are other types of Christians and even Non-Christians. At this point all they know is that they don't believe exactly what we believe and we leave it at that, again it has to do with their age.

They see other churches and places of worship and ask if that is this kind of church or that kind of church. We've as a family have gone to non-Catholic Churches (because of extend family members) and the kids are respectful when there.

When my children are older I don't have a problem with them learning more about other faiths, but right now they are just to young. (In my opinion)
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 12:11 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• My son isn't old enough to learn about all of this yet. However I plan to teach him our religion (Christianity) but also give him the resources to research any other religion he wishes. I think it's important that everyone, not just children, are well educated on faith systems other than their own. How can you truly follow your own religion without knowing aspects of others? I mean, if you only know about Christianity and nothing about Paganism...how can you truly put all of your faith in it? That's just my personal opinion.
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 12:14 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I just wanted to add that we always (assuming no one is sick) services at a Catholic Church, even if we attend services in a Non-Catholic church....so some weekends we go to church twice: Once at a Catholic-church and the other at the non-Catholic church at we are attending that weekend....
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 12:15 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I've made it known here that I don't follow a religious path, but my children love to go to church. I allow them to go with friends and grandparents whenever they are invited. They attend vacation bible school in the summer, and we talk about what they've learned when they get home.

I believe that religious training is a very good foundation for a system of morals and ethics. However, I make sure that my children know that I believe that there are others paths to find God.

We have family members who are hindu, and have attended a Hindu wedding ceremony. We have friends who are pagan, and will likely encourage the children to attend an event with them, as well.

I want my children, regardless of the religious path they may chooses, or choose NOT to chooses, to be understanding and tolerant of others' religious belief systems.
    lawmom623

Answer by lawmom623 at 12:27 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• We raised half our children in the Catholic faith and then changed to the Baptist faith when our third child turned one. We have changed due to we wanted our children to be more knowledgeable about the Bible. We all attend bible studies and enjoy all the fellowship of the religion. Our oldest daughter has returned to the Catholic church, which is wonderful in our opinion, because she is raising her child to love the Lord. All our children will move from home and we encourage them to continue their religious studies, but their choice of faith has to be where they feel their heart leads them to Christ.
    ladyoprayer2

Answer by ladyoprayer2 at 1:56 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Our oldest is only 7.5 so yes we have only taught them about our beliefs. I have told them there are people who don't believe like we do, don't believe in God, etc.

I believe it is my job to teach them and train them in our faith. I believe that if I didn't and they ended up choosing something else God would hold me responsible one day (not that it isn't their decision regardless, it is, but I do hold some responsibility as well)
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 2:19 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• My daughter knows where my husband and I stand. She also knows that not everyone believes the same way we do. As of yet she isn't interested in learning about religion and I haven't pushed her to learn. If/when she is ready then I will help her research anything and everything she wants to know about. My boys are not old enough to understand, but it will be the same for them.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 4:40 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I have raised my children in the Christian faith. As they get older, they are exposed to other religions, atheism etc. and I discuss it with them. I do not go out of my way to introduce them to these beliefs but I have talked to them at every opportunity about them (news, school, even church situations). They have both accepted Jesus as Savior but I still consider them children of Christian parents. They will need to decide for themselves if Jesus will be Lord of their lives.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 11:18 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• P.S. The reason I raise them this way, is because I have come to believe this is the way living is best. I wouldn't be doing my job if I acted as though I thought all belief systems were as effective. Obviously, you feel differently, so you are compelled to share your views. Our children need to be brought up the way we think they should be or we would be cheating them out of our life experience I think.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 11:20 PM on Jul. 18, 2008