Does anyone have a simple homemade creamcheese icing they could share?

I've tried the ones that you add instant puddings to and they don't come out all that great. I used to have one that called for powdered sugar,vanilla,butter and the creamcheese. I just can't figure out the amounts of each that was used. Someone told me once to add crisco instead of butter. Does that sound right? Any help would be great. I'm making my grandsons birthday cake and we can't use store bought frosting. He's allergic to something in them. Thanks again.
Sistersun

sistersun

Asked by sistersun at 10:04 PM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Food & Drink

• ok.. i think it's one box of cream cheeze.. one ( maybe 2 sticks of soft butter) 4 cups or so of powdered sugar and vanilla.. it's the best! google it though you can probably find a great recipe.
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 10:07 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I have a simple buttercream one if you want it. It makes about 3 c. of icing.
    1/2 c solid vegetable shortening
    1/2 c butter softened
    1 tsp clear vanilla
    4 c. powdered sugar
    2 Tsp. milk
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 10:09 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• cream cheese icing, well get 1 package of cheese small one. a small box of powered sugar mix until creamy just a little vanilla and little bit of milk it the little can have it if not moist it with some else.
    peaches-3

Answer by peaches-3 at 9:04 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe

Ingredients:

1/2 cup of butter (1 stick), room temperature
    8 oz of Philly cream cheese (1 package), room temperature
    2 - 3 cups of powdered sugar
    1 teaspoon of vanilla extract

Method:

1 With an electric mixer, mix the butter and cream cheese together, about 3 minutes on medium speed until very smooth. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl to ensure even mixing.

2 Add the vanilla extract and mix. Slowly add the powdered sugar. Keep adding until you get to desired sweetness.

3 Either spread on with a blunt knife or spatula, or spoon into a piping bag to decorate your cake or cupcake.

CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 9:58 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• the crisco is to replace the lard in traditional buttercreme recipes.Thos awesome cakes you rememebr from childhood w/the kinda hard but so sweet frosting...lard not butter.It started in depression when they used lard for everything.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:21 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• You wouldn't use crisco in a cream cheese icing. Crisco "buttercream" icings were used for decorating, as they stood up well to many conditions. Not so much for taste, if you know what I mean :)

Cream cheese icing:
    8 oz cream cheese
    1 stick butter, softened
    1-2 tsp vanilla extract
    2-3 tbsp milk
    4-5 cups powdered sugar

Combine using the lesser amounts and taste. If you want it sweeter, add remaining sugar. If it's too stiff, add milk. I like the extra vanilla :)
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 3:41 PM on Jan. 17, 2009