Is it only me????

I have a hard time understanding this, so please don't take any offense if, you do this; but, I can not understand WHY parents smoke in front of their kids, even when it's outside. Is this only me, or are there any other women who just can't stand this? I think it looks ridiculous when I see a parent outside playing with their kid/s or pushing a stroller with a ciggarette hangin out their mouth.

ReginaGallo

Asked by ReginaGallo at 10:31 PM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• No, no ones bad because they smoke, i smoked off and on for years but i stopped when pregnant and while breastfeeding. Its all priorities, they are an innocent human being that can't make choices for themself so they rely on us to be there for them and its our responsibility to take the best care of them that we can.....
    Anonymous

• i completely agree. i went to my dads the other day and my step sister was nursing with a cig in her mouth. and shes a better parent than me b/c shes breastfeeding...lol.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 10:33 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Yuk, breatfeeding and smoking, she might as well stick the cig in the babies mouth...
    cheryl4martin

Answer by cheryl4martin at 10:37 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Thank god I quit, but i used to do that. At the time while I was smoking I didn't think about it I just needed the smoke, addiction is a hard thing and will drive you crazy, so eventhough the entire time I was out smoking and my kids were playing I felt so guilty, but I couldn't stop until I was ready. That's addiction for ya. You know you are hurting yourself and possibly others, but until you decide you don't want to do it anymore you just keep doing it.
    ednakrabapple

Answer by ednakrabapple at 10:38 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I agree. It is sooo wrong. I don't care if someone smokes but please don't do it to the child. They need to have the choice to decide it they want to poison themselves like that when they are old enough to decide.
    Katieasmom

Answer by Katieasmom at 10:38 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• this is a touchy subject I guess I smoke but not near my kids I know people think yeah right but I smoke not them so I respect that I smoke about 8 a day and ether outside or in the basement but yes when my kids are playing outside I do sit on my porch and smoke I dont blow it in their face they are away playing I take no offence you are entitled to your opinion but not all moms that smoke are bad lol

sunkist9

Answer by sunkist9 at 10:42 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I don't sweat the small stuff and yes someone smoking around there children IS the small stuff since I can't do a thing about it. I can only control what I do with my children so I choose to focus on them on not what someone else chooses to do around theirs. However I agree that's its really disturbing how so many people choose to ignore the health dangers to their impressionable children.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 10:42 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• i agree with the poster above me i cant control what others do as much as many times i would like to. but i do think that smoking is nasty and i think its not only bad for the childs health but sets a bad example for young kids when there parents just smoke right in front of them like its nothing. my older sister who i only claim cause i have to lol long story there smokes around her 6 month old son and 5 yr old daughter. she will even smoke with the kids in the car. it pisses me off cause she even smoked when she was pregnant with both of them but thats a different story. i have another firned whose pregnant with number 4 and also smoked during all of her pregnancys and smokes in the car and in the house with her kids right in front of her.
    about2beamommy

Answer by about2beamommy at 10:50 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• part two of my answer it wouldnt let me put it all in one box

i think its wrong and harmful to the kids but im not the parent so i dont have a say. i know when it comes to my daughter though if someone around me is smoking near her even if its a stranger i will ask them to step away to the other side cause the smoke is offence and gross. thats jmo
    about2beamommy

Answer by about2beamommy at 10:51 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Well, I am a smoker myself(sorta) I only smoke when I drink and I don't drink until I have my son with his babysitter for the night. Then I pick him up in the morning, it doesn't happen often. So, my son doesn't EVER see me smoke. I think of it as setting an example for him. Showing him that smoking is a very bad option. I regret starting smoking in the first place, now I can't help it when I'm having a few drinks. Funny though, that's the only time I ever wanna smoke! Everyone does have their own choice as to wanting to smoke in front of their kids. Just remember, they're most likely gonna start smoking when they're in their teens because YOU set that example for them, unless you can explain to them that it's a bad choice and something you shouldn't even be doing it in the first place......then again, that could just confuse them even more. Your choice though.
    ReginaGallo

Answer by ReginaGallo at 10:56 PM on Jan. 16, 2009