Help fast please (sleeping problem)

How do you get an 8 month old to sleep in her crib at night? I have slept with her in my bed up untill now, and I feel like it isn't safe anymore, shes crawling and I'm scared she may crawl and fall off the bed. I just spent an hour give or take getting her to sleep... and ever move I make she wakes up :( I dont know what to do... She's in her crib crying lightly and I feel so bad.... Please.. throw your ideas and knowledge at me... please don't judge...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:01 PM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• let her cry for a few minutes (10 or so) go in and check on her calm her down and leave. wait another 15 min. and start over. wait a little longer each time you go in. eventually shell go to sleep. this way she is learning to comfort herself but she still knows youre there. itll get easier after the first few nights. good luck!
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 11:05 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I was the same way, my husband was deployed for the first seven months so she just slept with me. Then he was coming home and I decided to transition her to her own bed. I know I am going to get a lot of flack for this but I put my daughter on her stomach to sleep. She has a fan on in her room, and I have never had an issue with it. I am not saying that you should do that, but whatever you do just be consistent. I also let her cry sometimes at night because if I go in there I can rock her for hours and she wont let me put her down. I dont judge you, you have to do what works best for you.

Anonymous

• I'm sorry. That is the hardest thing ever. Just let her cry. She will learn to sooth her self. Also try getting some musical light up toys to put in there with her. It might help. It helped my baby girl and is helping her again now that she is scared of the dark.
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 11:06 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• She just needs to learn how to soothe herself to sleep. It is going to be rough for a few nights but babies learn really fast...as long as your consistent. Did you have a bedtime routine when she was sleeping with you? If so...keep it up so that it is at least familiar to her. If not...start one. I do bath time, PJs, story and then bed. You should lay her down sleepy, but awake. She should watch you walk away (it can be very scary for a baby...especially this age...to fall asleep in your arms and wake up alone). Then...sorry to say...you're going to have to let her cry herself to sleep for a few nights. Resist the urge to go back into her room...there really isn't anything you can do for her and she'll learn much faster if you're consistent about not going back into her room. Try a white noise machine or a noisy fan or something to help lull her to sleep.

Good Luck!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:08 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Dont let her cry until she falls asleep that only teaches her that mommy doesnt come through. Put her in her crib tuck her in soothe her and when she is quite then walk away. She will cry at first. Wait a few mins (5 at the tops) then go in soothe her again. It will be a tough week but by the end of it she will sleep on her own and you will feel better. Plus by consistently soothing her you and her will get what you need.
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 11:11 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Continue co-sleeping.
    This isn't really a sleep problem- just a mommy problem.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 12:22 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Our son still sleeps in our room and he's nine and a half months old. The other bedrooms in our home are upstairs, and we sleep downstairs. Anyways, if you're truly uncomfortable with the idea of your baby sleeping in another room, just set her crib up in your room. I know that eventually my son will have to move into his own room, but I can't bear to do it at this time. Upstairs just seems too far at this point, ya know? But if co-sleeping has to stop, try transitioning by putting her in a crib in your room.
    rafasconejita

Answer by rafasconejita at 1:26 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• im going to have to put my baby to sleep on her own also,she fell of our bed and its like 4 ft high,she fine,,but im thinkling i would rather get a toddler bed and put it on our floor by our bed and the 1st few nights im gonna sleep down there with her,we have a crib im just to short to be puting her in and out of it
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:07 AM on Jan. 17, 2009