• In the Spotlight:

teenage son & friends

My son just got home and shortly after his friend shows up. It is 10 here - they tell me he's staying all night. HUH??? Am I wrong for expecting to be asked? And when I said no, they asked why??? Again.....my house, my rules. maybe I just don't feel like having an overnight guest tonight. What is up with kids these days???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:08 PM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I think it depends on your son's age. My son's in his twenties and in and out cuz of college. Where we are now his room is a separate part of the house and they all stay there. He knows that cuz he on the other side of the house that it's ok. He was and Is quite responsibly luckily. If your son's pretty responsible too I think it's just a part of growing up - he wants his friends at home. That 's actually something to celebrate! Some kids want nothing to do with their families or their house!! If he's a more restless person, troublesome or not, then you certainly do need to be made always aware of his friends.
    Anonymous

• I feel if he is going to stay at home with some friends let it be you know where, what he is doing.I rather my kids stay home with or without there friends.I no what they are doing this way.Even if he is a good kid you know he is safe.

times3mom

Answer by times3mom at 11:57 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• lolz no ur not wrong for asking but remember there teens and nothang u do will ever be right for them so dont liek them maybe u feel like ur rules are too much ur house ur rules!!! n true it good they they stay home that way u know at least half of wat they up too
    mommiediap

Answer by mommiediap at 12:24 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I think it is a lack of planning and changing plans at the last minute with teens now. My son yelled to me at 10:45 one night to ask if his friend could come spend the night and by the way could I go pick him up. He has also had friends just show up or when I pick them up from some place say oh yeah he's spending the night and I think and say like you Huh what happened to asking!?
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 1:20 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Most likely plans had changed. I have no problem with it, I will be asleep. My DD was supposed to spend the night at her friends, at 1 in the morning they came back to my house, they changed thier minds. Like I said no biggy I know where they are and that is very reassuring.

I used to have a 24 hours rule, everything had to be cleared 24 hours in advance (there are 7 of them) but I have come to realize as they get older, it just isn't always possible.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 4:24 PM on Jan. 17, 2009