Crib Bumpers?

I use a bumper in my 3month old (she will be 4 months next week) crib. I have heard its not safe and increases the risk of sids but i do not use a cover on her and i keep a fan on her at all times to circulate the air but should i take the bumpers down? I have not had a problem with then but i do not want to risk anything

KeagansMom08

Asked by KeagansMom08 at 11:10 PM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Having a fan on decreases the risk of sids, so do pacifiers. I used bumpers with mine and I had no problem.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 11:11 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I kept mine on until she started rolling over. I took it out then, because she would roll over and put her head towards them.
    Anonymous

• I use bumpers. Just make sure the strings or snaps stay secured and that any strings are no longer than 6". Also...you might want to take them out once she starts standing up...you don't want her using them for climbing.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:13 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• The only way it can cause SIDS is if they lay up against it and suffocate. My son rolls around a lot in his sleep but has never gone anwhere near the bumper so I've always left it in. I check on him periodically though the night (can't help it!) so if I were to notice him getting close to the bumper I would take it out. As long as your baby doesn't get her face up against the bumper while she's sleeping then she'll be fine.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:25 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• i had them on both of my girls cribs until they started rolling over my youngest the only thing about her is she is 12 months old but she pushes the side of the crib and gets her leg stuck in between the bars and if i didnt give the bumper to my sister for her baby i would probably put it back up just so she stops getting her legs stuck between the bars
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 11:26 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I used them for both my older kids. I just took them out once I started going in there and finding them agaist the rails (bumpers) I got scared then but by then they were trying to stand up and stuff so I was taking them down just like ^^ said so they didnt use them to climb.
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 11:27 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• My daughter is 19months old and I never took her bumper out of her crib. I keep it in there so she dose not get her arm,leg stuck in between the bars.I also like it because she wont try to climb out with the bumper there.It also keeps her nins and sippy in her crib at night.{Water filled sippy}

times3mom

Answer by times3mom at 11:52 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• crib bumpers can contain toxic materials and trap toxic air and can contribute to SIDS.
    If you want to know how to prevent SIDS 100% then you will need to look outside the US.
    Dr Sprott in New Zealand was found that SIDS is caused by breathing in toxins.
    The toxic plastics that are used on the mattresses, the plastics in the mattress pads, the fire retardents. It is not that hard to follow Dr Sprotts recommendations and his 100% safety record speaks for itself. Check out http://www.babysake.com/ for more details.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 1:05 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• well i had bumbers on my boys bed it didnt hurt him he still has them and he is 14 months old and they have been on there sence he was born
    nikkicorbett

Answer by nikkicorbett at 1:14 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I used bumpers with both of my kids and they are just fine.
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 9:48 AM on Jan. 17, 2009