How do I get my boys on astrict schedule?

waking up early, taking naps on time( as scheduled), going to bed at night at a decent time and eating regularly. their eating habits change constantly. They are at the weight they need to be from what the doctor says I just feel that they prefer lots of junk more often than cooked food.

STARSJJS

Asked by STARSJJS at 11:17 PM on Jan. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think it is a family life style change. Wake them up at the same time everyday and have their meals at the same times. Give the kids a couple of choices for breakfast and lunch and then tell them that what you make for dinner is what they get. As far as naps, tell them ahead of time that they are going to lay down and listen to music for some quiet time. If they fall asleep great, if they do not that is okay too. Just talk to them about each step and how things are going to change. You can even make a list with them to let them know their new schedule. It is easier to do when they are younger. When they are older their schedules will be almost automatic.

Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 12:59 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Start by writing out a schedule: 7:00 wake up, 7:30 breakfast, 9:00 fruit (healthy snack), 11:00 lunch, 12:00 quiet/nap time, 3:00 snack (small & healthy), 6:00 supper, 8:00 multi-grain crackers (or other healthy snack), 8:30 bed. Or whatever works for you. NO snacks within 2 hours of a meal. Only small, healthy snacks. Don't even buy junk foods - only buy what you want them to have, but don't let them have what they want when they want. You have to make sure to stick to the schedule, or it won't work. You have to put your foot down when it comes to eating meals. I took out snacks from my kids' day almost completely, because they weren't eating at mealtime. We're slowly working snacks back in. If you allow them to snack, especially on "junk", of course they won't eat a good cooked meal. I reitterate: only buy healthy foods, not junk, and they won't want junk - can't see it, don't want it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:27 AM on Jan. 17, 2009