What Constitutes modest dress in our age

In Biblical times it was the custom to wear tunics. During some time periods you could not show your ankles. Then it was considered sexual if you showed your elbow. What are your thoughts on this?

motivesmom

Asked by motivesmom at 12:08 PM on Jul. 18, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• To me, if I were to design a "modesty" dress code it would include:
    Skirts/dresses, at knee or 2-3" above the knee
    Tops, cleavage covered, midriff covered, and not skin tight
    Sleeveless, undergarments covered (I hate bras & straps sticking out like accessories)
    Slacks, waistband at or below natural waist and not skin tight
    shorts - for general wear, at mid-thigh or below
    shorts - for athletic purposes, long enough to fully cover the buttocks, preferably covering at least part of the upper thigh

Men - for pete's sake, pull up your drawers! Saggin' is silly!

lawmom623

Answer by lawmom623 at 12:21 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I was just going to simply not too revealing or too tight.

I looked over what lawmom623 wrote and I pretty much agree.

The only thing I would add is NO words across the butt! Honestly, why draw attention to it...and what reason would my 6 year-old (or any child of mine at any age) need attention draw to it (the butt)....
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 12:40 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I am 22 years old and Muslim but i do not cover my whole body. I wear shirts that aren't too low or revealing and i wear shorts but the walking shorts or board shorts whatever they are called..lol..the ones that are an inch or so above the knee. i do not wear anything super tight or anything that is see threw. i do this not bc of religion i do this out of respect for myself. i do not want anyone other than my husband looking at my body. when i go swimming i wear a one piece swim suit
    rachelisamail

Answer by rachelisamail at 12:46 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• i also think that it is so nasty when you see woman or girls and their thong is sticking out
    rachelisamail

Answer by rachelisamail at 12:47 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Words on the butt - YES! Especially "juicy" YUCK!
    lawmom623

Answer by lawmom623 at 1:15 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I buy my shirts XL even though I'm pretty small just for the length...everything is SO short! Butt-cheeks and excess cleavage are bad. I don't care how cute you look, lol. I wear tight clothing, but I'm covered. I like fitted things because I'm happy with how I look after having 3 kids!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:28 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Juicy ICK ROFLOL That is just tacky. Also women in short skirts standing on stage singing or what ever in church and you can see up her skirt.
    motivesmom

Answer by motivesmom at 1:29 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I think there is a difference between something being "form fitting" and "tight"...they aren't necessary the same thing...

I don't have a problem with things that are form fitting, but when you can make out every dimple, fat roll, and everything in-between it's a problem. Does that makes sense???
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 1:40 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• ReeneeK3: I wear tight clothing, but I'm covered. I like fitted things because I'm happy with how I look after having 3 kids!

I WISH I looked good enough after 3 kids to be proud wearing tight clothing!

But just to play devil's advocate (or maybe Paul's advocate?), doesn't wearing tight clothing because you are proud of your body go against the teaching of your church?  As I remember, women are to dress in a way that doesn't inspire lust in men.  

Lust is a sin which especially men are cautioned in Scripture to avoid; is it any more praiseworthy for women to dress provocatively and excite lust? From http://www.bible-infonet.org/bin/feature_articles/living/modesty.htm

Just throwing this out for thought... 

lawmom623

Answer by lawmom623 at 1:43 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Ladies you are all awesome! I feel the same as all has been posted and would like to include that I feel that "men" should wear their pants where they are NOT exposing their underwear. GROSS! My husband works guys that are getting out of prison and they informed him that this style started in prisons to let other prisoners know they were "available". Do all these young men, walking around with their underware and behinds exposed know this???? surely not! I also dislike the thong and bra peek look, too. In my opinion, that gives everyone the wrong message.
    Call me "old fashioned", but I think we all need to respect ourselves in public. It was very hard for me to explain to my seven year old girl that the look of "seeing someones underware" is socially acceptable..I told her we don't!
    ladyoprayer2

Answer by ladyoprayer2 at 1:47 PM on Jul. 18, 2008