How hard is it?

I am BFing My DD who is less then 2wks old now. I want to for 6m then pump and give it to her in a bottle I am justnot comfortable BFing her after that JMO but anyway. How hard is it to get them to drink from a bottle after being on the boob so long. Or would it be ok to just give it to her in a sippy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:24 PM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You need to introduce the bottle by the time she is 6 weeks old, and then giver her one every once in a while, to make sure that she will take it, and continue taking it. But I would try to give it to her in a sippy from about 5 months on, if she'll take to it, because that's one less thing you'll have to wean her off of.

Pumping is awfully stressful and not very much fun IMO, but good for you for wanting to continue to give her breastmilk. You never know, you may change your mind and continue to nurse.

Whatever you choose to do, good luck!
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 11:39 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• 1st NEVER introduce a bottle prior to the 6 week mark. You want to wait until that time to make sure your breastfeeding relationship is established. By introducing a bottle early you have a higher chance of a failed breastfeeding relationship.

The recommendations state that at 6 months a sippy should start to be introduced to help switch baby from the bottle so I would go right for the sippy and skip the bottle all together.  Good Luck but as the PP said wait and see how you feel don't make anything definite yet.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• If you and your baby have nursing well-established, with no latching problems, it will not hurt your nursing relationship to introduce a bottle at 4 or 5 weeks.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 12:15 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Think about WHY you don't feel comfortable breastfeeding past six months.. Often it is because of society's pressure.. I remember - and this is a memory I'm not ashamed to admit that I was WRONG about - swearing up and down that I wouldn't BF past 6 months.. There were so many preconceived notions I had about it, and worst of all, I just didn't believe babies "needed" breast past then..
    As 6 months approached, I realized how silly it was to think I could wean then! There was no way my daughter would have it! I made a new goal of a year. By 9 months, I knew I'd never wean her then, and that I'd wean her when she was ready..
    Age is not a reason to quit the breastfeeding relationship..
    As i matured in my parenting, I realized how much more important my child was/is than what others who aren't comfortable with BFing think..
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 12:15 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I nursed her until she was 2, and will nurse the rest of my children for at least as long.
    There are so many benefits to continuing the nursing relationship, putting an age restriction- especially before a year - is folly.

But if you absolutely decide that you're going to cave to peer pressure, then I would go straight to a sippy cup.. There is no need for a bottle - although you'll probably find that your baby still needs the comfort of suckling at a nipple..
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 12:17 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Me not wanting to BF that long has nothing to do with anyone else or what they think. I love how you always like to think you know everything every post you seem to think you do. Although I appreciate your thoughts. I DONT FEEL COMFORTABLE WITH IT. I would NEVER BF past a yr at least IMO they are to big after that and I am not Comfortable with it. I dont care what people think of e because of it it is just how I feel about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• There's nothing wrong with putting the bm in a sippy, even at 4 months, IMO. You can completely skip the bottle if you want to. But once a baby has a bottle, it seems like it's harder to get them to keep accepting the breast. I say if you're comfortable nursing til 6 months, try going straight to a sippy. My siblings went from breast to regular cup, no bottle, no sippy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:33 AM on Jan. 17, 2009