How can I get my two year old to hold my hand when we are walking across the street or in a music class with other two year olds?

Of course, all of the other mothers that I associate with have gotten their children to hold their hands. I feel embarrassed that I cannot get him to hold my hand. He always throws himself on the ground when I reach for his hand.

Janette526

Asked by Janette526 at 4:08 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• All of my kids did that at one time or another. Don't cave in! Let them know that if they want to walk beside you (as opposed to you carrying them or throwing them in the cart) that they need to hold your hand. I never let my kids have their way when it comes to safety!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:10 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• This must definitely be a two year old thing... I experienced the same thing with my daughter when she was two and I'm hoping my 14 month son won't do it (yeah, right)... If I were you, just as much as your son is digging his heels in NOT to hold your hand, you dig your heels in for him TO hold your hand... Tell him you are NOT MOVING until he holds your hand... It's too important for him NOT to hold your hand and you need to let him know that it's IMPORTANT by the way that you're standing your ground. YOU know what can happen, but he doesn't. I used to look at all the other moms and compare myself, but realized you can't always do that. You just need to realize you have a spirited child and it's going to take a little more time to make him hold your hand, too, but he'll get it if you dig your heels in right along with him. God gave you this baby for a reason: spirited baby, spirited Mama! Good luck!
    pbjmomi

Answer by pbjmomi at 4:15 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Make it simple. If you don't hold mommy's hand crossing the street then you'll get carried. If he values his independence, eventually it'll sink in that if you don't hold mommy's hand you don't get to walk yourself.
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 5:42 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Maybe he doesn't like holding hands. I have a child with autism and he didn't like holding my hand at first so i got him to hold the bottom of my shirt or even my finger until he felt comfortable with that kind of touching.
    Anonymous

• I would tell him in private some time that he must hold your hand when you cross the street because this is the way you will keep him safe. Ask him why just in case it isn't because he wants to be a big boy. Then, practice with him and give him lots of praise for doing it. Let him know if he doesn't take your hand the first time you reach for it, he will be carried like a baby. Then, do it. He probably will hold your hand after the first time. He may scream all the way but hang in there and stand your ground.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 8:24 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• When I had a similar problem with my kids holding hands with each other, I simply stopped. I sat down on a bench and said "okay, well we aren't going anywhere until you hold hands" This was at my son's school when I was picking him up. I stood my ground. We sat there for nearly ten minutes, but it was well worth it. I very RARELY have to ask them anymore, they do it on their own. Hope it helps.
    NomadSara

Answer by NomadSara at 4:34 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

NomadSara

• I started saying "Parking Lot Rules" when we would go places and take his hand. It took a few months, but he finally figured out that by saying Parking Lot Rules, I wasn't playing around.
    mommytoadam

Answer by mommytoadam at 5:37 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• They try it, and you just don't cave in like the other moms have stated- be late if you have to. But inside, if he stands beside you, that should work. I have always told my kids why we do things and they are too scared to walk through a parking lot without holding my hand knowing cars can't always see them and mommy doesn't always know what cars may be pulling out...

TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 8:43 PM on Jul. 27, 2008