My son sucks on his arm for comfort.

He does it so hard it leaves a bruise. Has anyone ever heard of this?

karina400

Asked by karina400 at 12:12 PM on Jul. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My Cousins daughter use to do this all the time when she was a baby. Give your son something else, redirect him. Offer a Pacifier to him when ever he does this.
    Anonymous

• My grandson sucks his right wrist. I have an ultrasound of him doing it too. The nurses pissed him off after he was born he went to put his arm in his mouth and they stopped him because he hadn't been cleaned up yet. He had a blister for a while..Nothing stops him. A calllous finally formed. It's what he does when he's stressed, tired or trying to go to sleep. I never saw another child suck their arm this way. Last Nov. the Dentist told me he sees it all the time. He also said it was way better than their thumb. Trying to stop it only causes emotional upset so we just let it be. He rarely does it in public anymore.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:27 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• My son sucked his arm and two of his sisters sucked their fist.
    They do grow out of it =) I do understand your concern of his bruising the area, but if anyone observes him they will know that is how he receives the bruise. Nothing to worry about
    ladyoprayer2

Answer by ladyoprayer2 at 1:38 PM on Jul. 18, 2008