tax question?????

my friend was telling me that since i didnt work the whole year last year to not claim my daughter on my taxes for the earned income credit even thought i worked like 8 months of the year but then she told me also that if u make too much money they only give u a percentage of the EIC? its confused me which is true?

mommiediap

Asked by mommiediap at 11:46 PM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Money & Work

• Why wouldn't you want to claim your daughter? If she lived with you for more than 6 months or was born in 2008 then you are entitled to claim her as a deduction, no matter how much money you make.

EIC is based on a sliding scale. You get the maximum amount at a certain earned income level, it goes down on both sides (less than that level or more than that level.) You can go to www.irs.gov and download the EIC Table from there to figure what your EIC would be.

Another thing is to go to www.hrblock.com and use their tax calculator (free) and plug in the numbers to see what you would get back.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 11:51 PM on Jan. 16, 2009