Shaved kitty

I got my long hair cat shaved today. Now my other cat is hissing at her and is being mean. They used to be best friends. is it because she doesnt recognize her?

tawnbond

Asked by tawnbond at 12:40 AM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Pets

• Probably. lol.
    Now you know not to shave her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• its for the safety of my baby. she sheds soo bad. it destroys the house and we ant breathe
    tawnbond

Answer by tawnbond at 1:06 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Good for you on getting it shaved! I agree with what you did. As far as the other one being mean to the FORMER long haired one I feel like it regonizes the other one as they go by smell and not appearance . I think maybe you should get the other one shaved as well? Maybe it is jealousy?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:47 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Shave the other one!
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 9:31 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• If you had your cat bathed and shaved at the groomers, the smell of the shampoo may make your other cat not recognizeher scent. You may have to take something that his your shaved cats and rub her scent on her. They can be really sensitive to smells , so something isn't what it used to be. Try even rubbing other cat's smell on the shaved one. It may help...good luck

doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 7:49 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Had the same problem with our maine coon... had him shaved and then he didn't get along with the neighbor's cat. I'm sure it's the difference in the smell. The other cat can actually smell the shaved's skin, as opposed to the odors that lingered and stuck to the hair that came off.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 2:02 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I shave my longer haired cat and all my others recognized him, the difference is I did it myself at home so no strange smells were on him. So I'd go with the strange smells, your other cat will get used to it eventually.
    crazyfilly

Answer by crazyfilly at 4:46 PM on Jan. 18, 2009