How do I soothe my 9 month old?

On several occasions this past week, my 9 month old, who normally sleeps through the night with no problem, has awakened, sometimes more than once, crying hysterically. It takes a really long time to soothe him and help him to relax. Then he screams when we put him back into his crib. What do we do? We assume that he's having nightmares, though we really didn't think it was possible at his age.

rafasconejita

Asked by rafasconejita at 12:54 AM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son is 9monthes old and sometimes he does the same thing. Some times baby's just want there mom or dad to hold them. I hold him and rock him for about 10mins and he is ok i just lay him back in his Crib. So its ok they just want there mommmy :)
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 12:58 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• My son is is also about 9 months last month he had the same issue. My hubby and I recorded our voices saying funny things and uploaded it to our computer we played it til he fell back asleep . Few nights later he slept through the night again.
    candyrandi

Answer by candyrandi at 1:24 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Sounds like my kids when they get an ear infection. There don't have to be other symptoms like some people think. Try a small dose of tylenol next time it happens and see if that helps. If it does, make a dr's appointment. It could also be from teething - which tylenol would also help with.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Sounds liek teething to me. My dd only wants to be held and rocked at night when a tooth is getting ready to pop through. Like pp said, try some Tylenol and give him the cuddles that he needs. If it is teething then it should pass in a week or so.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 7:57 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Maybe he is cutting teeth. My son has been doing the same thing latley. He is 8 1/2
    months.
    BermudaMama

Answer by BermudaMama at 12:37 PM on Jan. 19, 2009