How did you introduce your kitty to your infant?

Any trouble bringing baby home to cat's house? I'm pregnant and am worried how our cat will react or behave with baby.

bluelady27

Asked by bluelady27 at 12:55 AM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Pets

• Me too, so I will just watch and see what advice you get bluelady.lolII have 2 cats and my vet has said these things: play a cd or recording of newborn crying, so they get used to it.Also to let them smell the baby stuff before the baby comes in,never leave them alone together,thats it so far and I hope people respond.If not I'll ask it later.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:58 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I've heard also just ignoring the cat and only spending a little time during the day with them so they get used to the less amount of attention.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 1:00 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I have been trying that and it worked w/one but the other one is just getting more clingy?
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:01 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Oh no! We've also decided to keep the baby in our room for the first few months and having the cat stay out of the bedroom at all times. That isn't working out too well right now. I like to snuggle with her still. :( Its too tempting to let her sleep with us. She is just too darn cute!
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 1:05 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• lol I know but now my clingy one has to be right in my face and that is new.Hey do you think cats can sense we are pregnant? My SO thinks they know, like maybe my scent has changed.I admit they do act differently w/me more gentle and lovey kwim? what do you think?
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:13 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• You should not trust the cat to be around the baby!! I'd consider getting rid of it? I know that is not what you want to hear but that is just my suggestion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:40 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I wasn't as worried about my cat as I was our dog. He's always been my "baby"...he knew something was up during pregnancy (became protective, literally, of my belly). I was afraid he'd be jealous of the baby, and was really paranoid about it. While I was in the hospital though (had a cesaerean, in the hospital almost a week) I took a baby bib that had been used on my son and had my husband take it home and give it to the dog. It had the baby's scent on it and the dog and cat could become familiar with the baby's smell...and therefore a little more relaxed when it came time to bring the baby home. We kind of kept our son away from the pets for a couple of weeks before really exposing him to the pets.
    rafasconejita

Answer by rafasconejita at 1:42 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• The only way I would get rid of my cats is if they showed aggression-and NO I would not wait til they bit/attacked.i mean hissing urinating that kinda stuff.So that is not an option,getting"rid" of them.The next poster w/the babyI know they will have to be kept away for awhile until the scents of the baby are more common, ty for the suggestion.:o).I am going to ask in some cat groups and bluelady I can email some info if you like.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:49 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I find the best way is to show the baby to the cat when the baby is calm and the cat is in a comfy place. Make sure you pet the cat and reward it for being good. Use sweet talk as well.
    Good luck!
    MamaMudd7

Answer by MamaMudd7 at 1:42 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• What we did was after my daughter was born, I had DH take a blanket with her scent home, and leave for the animals to become acustom to. This way they were use to her scent before she came home. Also, I never left them alone with her. When she was sleeping, they would go and sniff her, and watch her. I let them be. As long as they weren't in her face, or trying to lay on her.
    Angel8203

Answer by Angel8203 at 3:17 PM on Jan. 17, 2009