BFing

I have BFed my son for 3 months - I had hoped to BF till at least 12months.
Here is the situation though, my fiance has recently been laid off therefore I need to return to work ALOT sooner than I had hoped and I am having trouble getting him to take a bottle. What can I do to help make this easier?

For those of you strongly opinionated people out there before you lecture me about not continuing to BF my son .. understand this .. when I pump Im lucky to get 2 ounces in 2 days and I don't have the luxury (as some of you do) of being able to be a SAHM.
:]

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I understand that you can't pump a lot- but maybe when you're at work and away from the baby, you'll be able to pump more. It's hard to pump any substantial amount when you're also constantly nursing. It's your choice, but I would give pumping at work a try.

When I had to prepare my dd for my going back to work, and getting her to take a bottle, we used the Playtex Ventaire Wide Bottles- the nipples are very wide to make for an easy transition.

Also, try having somebody else feed her- she's way more likely to take a bottle from someone besides you. Have them imitate how you feed her- if you're topless, or if you use a boppy, have them try that. Or put a shirt that you've been wearing all day in between her and the person who's feeding her, so that she will smell you. Also, have them squirt a little bit into her mouth so that she knows what she'll get.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 2:36 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Have you tried breast flow by safety first?
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 1:04 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Or soothie bottles
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 1:07 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Its the only one that worked for my DD.

http://www.breastflow.co.uk/video.htm
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 1:10 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• My son wouldn't latch on so I pumped for about three months, by which time I wasn't getting hardly anything. He refused every bottle with a standard nipple. We ended up trying out the Nuk brand bottles, with the orthodontic-type (have a little flat side on the bottom with the opening on the very top) nipple. They're just under five dollars a bottle though, at least at walmart. You can get packs of three for like, 12 dollars. I consider that to be kinda expensive, especially in comparison with standard bottle types, but it worked and he accepted those without a problem.
    rafasconejita

Answer by rafasconejita at 1:16 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• This might sound a little mean, but when baby's hungry, baby will eat - and once baby gets the hang of the bottle (which won't take long if he/she is hungry) they'll never look back!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 AM on Jan. 17, 2009