How long will Lactose Free Formula take effect?

My baby got diarrhea/loose stool problem(sometimes containing streaks of blood). My pediatrician suggest us change her formula to Lactose Free. Now is the 3rd day on Lactose Free Formula, her diarrhea problem seems getting a little better(less times) but still containing blood.
Anyone know once change to Lactose free formula; If she was really lactose intolerance, how long will take effect and be better?

thanks

fagigi

Asked by fagigi at 12:31 PM on Jul. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son has a milk protein allergy. I give him breastmilk and at one time I noticed that he seemed better the day after I took dairy out of my diet. However, dairy can stay in the body for 2-3 days. It might take a couple more days for his body to adjust to the change.
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 12:35 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• honestly I would give any dietary change about a week and if I'm not seeing an real improvements I would call the dr and say I've done this now for the last 5-7 days and it's not working.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 12:58 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• My son had allergies to formula too and we tried low lactose and lactose free formulas but none of them helped. We ended up using Nutramigen from Enfamil and that made all the difference. His symptoms definately eased up right away when we switched to the Nutramigen but they did take about a week to go away fully. Nutramigen is the most expensive formula though so you may want to give the lactose free a little longer to work. You could also see if your doctor has any samples of the Nutramigen and give her that until you are sure all her symptoms are cleared up try a little of the non lactose formula and see if she has any reactions.
    rasbneon

Answer by rasbneon at 5:37 PM on Jul. 18, 2008