Does anybody bother to look at both sides of the coin?

Okay, I am an Obama supporter and it's not a secret but I don't see everything that he does/will do as being correct. I agree with many of his proposed policies but, as everyone says, there is still a congress. Are people really prepared to be disappointed b/c no one man can do everything that he has set out to do. In my opinion, his major downfall thus far as been his zeal. I think that some of his expectations are realistic and others...well not so much. I just want to know how many people believe that b/c you vote for a man it somehow forces you to agree with everything he says/does? If you can agree with the majority that is great but there will be times that you do not and I want to know if anyone has bothered to consider the flip side of the coin?

micrespo

Asked by micrespo at 1:08 AM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I tried but it was superglued to the sidewalk. lol anyway I figured he couldn't please everybody; he made too many promises to too many people and has to disappoint at least some of them....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I know all politicians lie and have no intention of doing even a quarter of what they claim they will. I also know most will say anything to get elected so I have no real expectation and tend to vote for the lesser of two evils. Obama like all other politicians is out for himself and will do whatever furthers him and gets him the next election. He does not have much of a record so it is hard to know what he will do. I imagine he will do some things I agree with and other things that make me want to bitch slap him over. I hope he proves me wrong. He has a Congress that is pretty much in his pocket so he has a lot to live up to. If things go south he cannot blame Republicans. Democrats and Obama will be running everything. Should be interesting to see what happens and doesn't happen.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:11 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I wouldn't say I'm "prepared to be disappointed", but then I never expected him to be a political superhero. And even though I voted for him, I don't agree with him 100%. He's only human. He'll do stupid things, make mistakes, and do things I don't agree with. I wouldn't expect ANY president to get into office and actually do all the things they proposed when they were campaigning. That would be naive.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 3:08 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• And those of us who voted for Bush, felt the same way...but were WE given a "pass" for our voting for him, or was BUSH given a "pass" for making mistakes?

Seems to me a bit of a double standard is already being established...and he hasn't even been sworn in yet! LOL!

Perhaps if there wasn't such a disproportionate amount of attention focused on Obama, and an OBVIOUS liberal bias to all things Obama, it wouldn't be such a big deal! BUT, since everyone IS expecting Obama fixing all the world's ills, he IS going to fall flat...fast!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I feel about him the way I do any other politician. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and an opportunity to do his job.

I wouldn't even agree with my dh 100% of the time, lol - there are times I think I even disagree with myself if I'm feeling really torn on an issue - so of course I don't expect to agree with a politician - no matter who it is - 100% of the time. How much of a "pass" I'll feel inclined to give will depend on the particular subject, how important it is to me, and how much I agree or disagree with him.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:07 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• cont -

But no, I don't expect him to be the answer to all our prayers, just like I don't think Bush is the cause of all our ills.

There are a lot of people that make up the government, and, while the President is undoubtedly powerful he is not God, nor is he even a Dictator or King (in the style of the old days), who can make policy without any regard to what the rest of the government says or does.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:09 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I have voted Republican most of my life, until the last three elections. I believe Obama's sincerity and desire to bring good change to this country. He has certainly surrounded himself with people who are intellectually on the "cutting edge" and people who do not agree with him. I think this shows a whole lot of courage and faith in our system on his part. Of course, he is human and he will fail. We all do, most of us just expect more of others than we do of ourselves.
    Joran1025

Answer by Joran1025 at 10:19 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• People who don't like President-elect will blame him for everything.
    . He is not even in office jet but people are complaining ,that they need to close their small businesses. But maybe you are just bad owner? Why blame President. Why can't we all act like grown-ups and take personal responsibility.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Anon 913, this question was more for the people who voted for him but open to any and all. I, personally, gave Bush a pass on many things and my previous posts will show no bias (other than my feelings about the way he delivered his speeches and even then I said that his WRITER should have been fired.) I just believe that people expect him to be everything that they'd ever hoped for in a politician and that just fuels the ill will of the people who don't believe in him. I think that is one of the biggest problems that the people who have voted the other way have with Obama. People seem to have forgotten the "laws" of politics and Law #1 is that no politician can get 100% of the things that he set out to get done done 100% of the time. I do agree that the people who follow blindly are setting him up to fall fast. I hope that he doesn't but I believe that there are many people who need a wake up call.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 10:33 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I never believed Obama was anything more than a politician. I am hopeful that he will be able to work with Congress to improve things here but am cynical that he will actually get much done. I certainly can't tell the future so will have to wait and see.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 12:09 PM on Jan. 17, 2009