How can I get my daughter to stop touching herself?

I don't mind masturbation, I don't mind exploration- I know these things are normal at 2 almost 3. The problem I am having is that I am finding her between using the potty trying to pull her clitoris off. I have told her MANY times it is an important part of her body and she says she wants it OFF. What can I do to stop this behavior? Should it be stopped? I think so.

lovetoteachec

Asked by lovetoteachec at 1:19 AM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If she's tugging at it that hard, literally trying to get it off her body, you need to bring it up with her doctor asap. It could be that she has a UTI and it hurts. If she's touching to please herself, she needs to be taught about privacy, that "we only do that when we're alone, it's a private thing". But if it's not in pleasure, there's something underlying that needs to be checked up on. (I've got 3 girls, been through it all).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:39 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I don't think she will hurt herself. She will probably stop paying attention to it when you do.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 1:26 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I agree with Farrahann.
    My son that is three, he will pull, pinch, tug, stretch his little wee wee. If I don't say anything to him about it he stops fairly quickly, but If I say something, it is like he does it more and laughs at me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:32 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I agree with the anon above me!
    russian-mommy

Answer by russian-mommy at 1:53 AM on Jan. 17, 2009