What is the Secret to potty training a little girl?

My 3 year old daughter is doing well going pee on the potty but I cannot seem to figure out how to get her to start going poopy on the potty.. Even when she starts to go in her panties she tells me and i place her on the potty she could see there for 3 hours and still not go.. What am I doing wrong? What can I do to get her to start going poopy in the potty instead of in her panties? I am really at the end of my rope..

Passion_of_Fire

Asked by Passion_of_Fire at 1:50 AM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Well I'm not too much help.  My daughter will be 3 in a few hours and she will pee great but poop?  noway!  she will poop in her panties.  I tried letting her sit in it she pulls the panties off and gets new ones.  I tried not letting her wear panties well she got constipated.  good luck!  if you find the secret share it with me, please! lol!

1boy1girl4me

Answer by 1boy1girl4me at 2:18 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Be patient! My 3 year old has been potty trained for over a year now, and just recently started pooping in the potty. Before this, she would go in her panties.

What we did was put emphasis on using the potty instead. She was just more comfortable using her panties. We tried a lot of things -- bribes with new panties, taking said panties away when she pooped in them, praise when she would sporadically use the potty, remind her to use the toilet when she got the "I'm going to poop" stance, yelling, making her sit on the potty at the same time every day.

One day she came out of the bathroom yelling gleefully, "I did it, Mommy!" We haven't had any problems since. She knew that poop belonged in the potty, she just wasn't ready to take that step yet.
    arahzel

Answer by arahzel at 2:19 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• So don't fret! You aren't doing anything wrong! Just keep encouraging her, and tell yourself that it's just a phase.
    arahzel

Answer by arahzel at 2:20 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• For some reason many little kids have trouble with letting go of that BM. My daughter did the same. In her case, she was always afraid that it was going to hurt. I did the same as you, I watched for signs that she needed to poop and I quietly guided her to the potty. Make sure that she has something under her feet if she is sitting on a regular toilet. It is hard to go potty if your feet are dangeling. She needs to be able to push and bear down with her feet. Also, make sure that she can sit on the seat and not worry about having to hold herself up from falling in. She needs to be able to sit securly and RELAX in order to get it out. Just sit beside her and talk to her in a quiet voice is she is upset about sitting there. Maybe give her a book to look at so she will relax. Praise and reward her attempts and just keep trying.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 8:20 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• when you find out let me know...lol
    MsRosati

Answer by MsRosati at 9:27 PM on Jan. 20, 2009