Any suggestions how to potty train a stubborn 3 1/2 year old boy?

We've tried pull-ups, I've tried putting regular underwear on him (he just stands there and pees in them) I'll ask him if he wants to go sit on the potty and he'll tell me "NO".....how can I get him to WANT to go potty on the "Big Boy Potty"....he starts preschool in about a month and he HAS to be potty trained in order to start. HELP!

chenra

Asked by chenra at 12:56 PM on Jul. 18, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I had a stubborn child, too...lol...this is what i did!
    I allowed her to select a pack of suckers and we placed those suckers in a small goldfish bowl which stayed on the top shelf of the bathroom. When it was potty time she was showed the jar and told that she would receive one if she "decided" to use the potty. It took one day of this and it worked! Some may take longer, but that bowl sure looks inviting and encourages them to make that choice. My other child, who could not have sugars, I placed stickers in the goldfish bowl. Good luck!
    ladyoprayer2

Answer by ladyoprayer2 at 1:24 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Have you tried letting him just be naked???
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 1:06 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• "Have you tried letting him just be naked???" was mentioned above by SAHMinlL.
    This may not be a great suggestion! I am going through the same thing you are. I tried just letting him go naked - HUGE mistake!!! This just caused more work for me, because I was running around cleaning pee off the floor half the day. Being naked didn't bother my son at all, he was just as content to stand there and pee on the floor as he was peeing in his pants.
    I now give my son rewards (a couple M&Ms, a marshmellow, or a couple Jelly Beans . . .) and this is working well.
    Be patient, and remember to limit the liquids that are going in.
    Anonymous

• i would explain to him that if he wants to be a Big Boy he has to use the potty. Big Boys do not use diapers. i would then take away anything associated with being a big boy - such as bikes, toys, tv shows, favorite snack foods. i wouldn't be mean about it, just very down to earth and matter of fact.

for example: "no, you can't watch this show/go the playground/ride your bike/have that snack because only Big Boys can do those things, and if you have to wear diapers and not use the potty, then you're a baby, and while i love you, i see i have to treat you like the baby you are. when you ready to be a Big Boy and do the things that Big Boys do, which includes using hte potty, let me know." then i would stick to my guns and make it as clear as possible that Big Boys who use the potty have privileges, and a lot more fun than Babies who wear diapers. aby.
    anniekelleher

Answer by anniekelleher at 4:01 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• i bribed mine with swimming lessons and school it worked we were done at 2 1/2.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 11:13 PM on Jul. 18, 2008