My Husband is in denial: he is addicted to video games...

He has been out of work since 2006 from a work accident. He is perfectly capable of doing anything, for example, he was in two seperate softball leagues in the summer AND a golf league. He plays video games from his second cup of coffee until our son gets home. Then he finds excuses to start playing while our son is still awake and plays into the night. He plays every single day and he does not pay attention to me anymore. I am pregnant now with #2 and really stressed out that he will continue on with his selfish ways. He doesn't spend any time with my son, or me either. This is tearing our relationship apart. We have talked about it countless times, came up with an agreement of when he should and shouldn't play, but that was all thrown out the window THE SAME DAY! All of his family condones it, even his parents support it and it's just amazing how blind he has become to the damage this has caused. AM I ALONE??

hipmommaCLB

Asked by hipmommaCLB at 2:09 AM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Relationships

• you are not alone, and just like any addiction-it can destroy lives and families.If he willnot get help, take the kids and leave.It will not help to hide his stuff because he will just get furious w/u and also them go buy more stuff.So it solves nothing.Good luck.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 9:25 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• No No No you are not alone. I am going through the samething. It's hard because we have been together for along time. The game is all he knows. I have a friend looking to get divorced because of this samething. I don't know what to tell you but I know one thing I'm gone. He knows it which is why he slowed down but personally I don't care anymore. I don't need him so I have to go. I can't take it. We don't go out we don't even have sex. I think the last time we had sex was in July and it's now January. I'm done. I have to move on and I have told him already he will have to explain this to the kids. I know how you feel and if counseling isn't an option then your best choice is to move on.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:14 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Let me guess - does he play World of Warcraft? (or maybe EverQuest)

If there is ever a time that he is not home, this is what I would do (came close to doing it to my SO). Uninstall if off of his computer. Find his discs, and hide them someplace he would not look (under the mattress is a good spot). Refuse to give them back until he starts acting like a father and husband again.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:15 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• He needs to get a job. End of story. A man really isn't a man without one. It's like they lose all sense of providing for their family in every way including emotionally. Why hasn't he gotten one yet? I couldn't stand that and I WOULD NOT stand for that.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:15 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• lately my husband is being doing the same thing and to make it worst his brother come over and play i understant he work all the time but is really driving me nuts
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:25 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• He has Playstation 3 and started playing Call of Duty online. His brother in law, best friends, cousins, sister all play with him. He plays this violent game in front of our 5 year old with no thoughts of making it glamorous to our little boy. My son has even said to him, "Daddy, no gun games"... it doesn't even make him blink. He just gets pissy and says to him "don't worry about me, worry about yourself". I find myself crying about this often, he makes me feel like I am crazy and I really do second guess myself! He is seeing a psychologist for Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome once every two weeks. Because of his accident we live with his parents (can I say stressful??) . All of his family thinks that I am ridiculous for thinking he plays too much, but it's funny because none of them have children of their own.
    hipmommaCLB

Answer by hipmommaCLB at 2:25 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Actually the number of people who have a s/o who are addicted to video games is increasing greatly so no, you are not alone by any means. Do some research on the topic...if you haven't already. Talk to others in your situation and see what is helping them. There is actually an online support group for women who's husbands are addicted....you may want to consider joining, get some ideas from those who are already fighting the battle you are.

Good luck!
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 7:38 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• my boyfriend plays World of Warcraft all the time!!! it used to get in the way of our relationship, i tried talking to him and it didnt work. then i just started being mean to him and that worked lol, now he only plays when im not around
    MomAt15woah

Answer by MomAt15woah at 8:21 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• OMG! I feel you girl!! My hubby plays WOW all the time...and I mean all the time! It has came between us and our family. I know it's a addiction and he doesn't realize it. That's why I yell at him all the time. He makes me soo angry and he tells me I nag at him. I wonder why? lol It causes divorce and marraige counseling may be needed. Good luck...your not alone. just pray hard girl.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Thank you for the support, it feels like a weight off my shoulders to know that I am not actually crazy. Sometimes I feel like maybe it is me and i'm just hormonal and needy from the pregnancy. I've even discussed anit-depressants while going through my pregnancy. Now I think, that is so stupid that I would take these drugs because of someone else's problems! How stupid of me to doubt myself!!!
    hipmommaCLB

Answer by hipmommaCLB at 2:56 PM on Jan. 17, 2009