My son wants to ride the bus. I am nervous about letting him on the school bus since it is his first year at school. Should I let him?

AverysMom910

Asked by AverysMom910 at 12:58 PM on Jul. 18, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If it's something he is ok with then by all means. He just wants to feel like a big boy. Alienating him might make him feel different and left out. If he doesn't like it then you can stop.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:00 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I went through this experience last year and I was a wreck about it at first. I kept going back and forth of "should I do this" and finally, decided to let him for a number of reasons.

The first day I cried and worried about him til he got home. I actually worried the whole week, but then it passed and I was so glad he took the bus.
    NovaChk

Answer by NovaChk at 1:13 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• This is a wonderful experience for your child, but if your nervous about the behaviors on the bus of the other childre, you can contact your school board and request the name of the driver. Call the driver and inform them of his age and ask if he can sit behind the driver! I did this with all of mine and it brought me a great deal of peace-of-mind.
    ladyoprayer2

Answer by ladyoprayer2 at 1:21 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• My oldest rode the bus in Kind. and 1st grade. I never thought twice about it because if she didn't ride the bus she didn't go to school. The school was too far away to walk and I didn't have my own car. In kindy they got picked up in their own small bus but rode home on the big bus with the other kids (K-6th). In 1st grade they dropped half day kindergarten so all the kids rode the big bus morning and afternoon. The kindergarteners were required to sit right behind the driver who eventually learned all their names and there was about 35 kids on their bus of all ages. They preferred the 1st graders sit up front, too but she let them sit farther back if they wanted. The older kids were all really nice and usually looked out for the little kids. It was a great experience for all of us.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:35 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• If you live in a rural area they might combine all ages. My neighbor said when he road the bus many years ago everything and anything went on and the bus driver didn't care.
    momluvsmatt

Answer by momluvsmatt at 7:01 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• The best mom advice I ever recieved. If you don't know if it's okay or safe or not. Go ahead and say no. That way nothing bad happens over bad judgement.
    HesMyLife22508

Answer by HesMyLife22508 at 7:57 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• yeah, i would. talk to the other moms on your street, find out whta the driver is like and if there are no problems let him. it'll save you stress, time, trouble, money, and he will have a fun ride home.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 12:38 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• If he wants to let him. He is a brave kid to want to and it being his first year.
    NikkiMarie333

Answer by NikkiMarie333 at 1:44 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• I so didn't want my daughter to ride the bus !!!! But my family and friends convinced me and I am glad i did she is learning how to handle herself in social situations in a controled enviroment. baby steps
    Angie430

Answer by Angie430 at 9:48 PM on Jul. 21, 2008