Griping about the Inauguration Party?

I have seen quite a few mommies here saying that the amount that Obama's people have donated to, and are spending on, his inauguration party is evil. How could he possibly not spend that $150 million to help repair the economy. So here is my question.

Do you think that they are going to be eating Cash Salad with dollar bill infused dressing?

The money spent on this party, IS GOING TO US. To the working people who are catering the party. The wait staff. The decorators. The guy that hands out towels at the bathroom.

It is proven that the best way to stimulate and economy is to create jobs and buy things. Isn't that exactly what a party of this magnitude does?

AnnieMcD

Asked by AnnieMcD at 2:27 AM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• With the amount of people at the inauguration there is going to be plenty of stimulating the economy going on. Not to mention he needs to keep building the hype, America needs hope and even though I didn't vote for him, I'm so thankful that he being one man is inspiring so much hope into everyone. This is history and tons of people will be there and the amount of money going into this I feel will be well spent. I wish I could be one of the venders there.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 5:17 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Yawn don't care. This is the least amount of money Zero will spend while in office.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:51 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Here we go... One night, one party is not going to help our economy or the ppl of DC. Goodness gracious! I have nothing personally against Obama, I do how ever feel that spending $160-$180mil on an inauguration (a party) is nuts and completely immoral. DC is one of the poorest cities in the us and if he just spend $80mil on his party and donated the other $100mil to the city he could feed hundreds, thousands, maybe millions for a yr. not only feed them, but house them and clothe them. We are truly not getting the point here. It's 100 Million Dollars! Not hundred or even thousand. I really don't understand why that concept is Sooooooooooo very hard for so many other wise intelligent women to grasp.

Happ-eToBme

Answer by Happ-eToBme at 2:52 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• mmmm cash salad...sounds kinda pricey but I want to try it! :) I have nothing constructive to add to this conversation. Even if I disagreed about their price tag, I highly doubt they would care! Heck if I had that kind of cash laying around I'd throw a huge party too! But cash salad costs extra.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:55 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I get that this will not actually have any long lasting repurcussions. But what I AM saying is that the money he's spending IS going into the city. Maybe not in the exact way that you would like, but it's not like it's getting burned in a big fire pit. What he is doing is spending money, in that town, on a party. As I stated in my question itself, that money IS going to people.
    (And a hundred million dollars spread over 1 million people is still only $100 a piece. Hardly enough to feed them for a year... Just sayin')
    AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 2:59 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Thank you, Annie McD!... Just, thank you. I'm so glad someone finally said something intelligent about this.
    CluelessCarrie

Answer by CluelessCarrie at 3:25 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I understand the economy sucks right now, but give me break... should we celebrate with a party at McDonalds with Happy Meals?
    We are celebrating a new President!! I think ppl are making such a fuss bc it's Obama!! This man deserves a HUGE party
    WAganma56

Answer by WAganma56 at 3:50 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• A party yes but this lavishly? Turning our country recession times.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:54 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Yes a party should happen! but not at this amount of money. This is just the start of the lavish spending the Obamas will be doing at the White house, watch and see.
    While the rest of the country continues in a downward spin into a depression, the Obamas will be living as the king and queen, you wont see them on a budget. Kinda reminds me of France....
    tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 8:32 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• But what is wrong with them spending the money when it's going into the businesses that are providing the workers.

Nobody is addressing the actual question! The money is creating opportunities for literally hundreds of people, probably dozens of businesses.

What is the problem with that?
    AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 8:35 AM on Jan. 17, 2009