My boyfriend (the father of my baby boys) is attached to his XBOX 360 more than playing or taking care of our kids! He does play with them, but I say 20% of the time. I will tell him to stop and help me but he'll get mad at me sometimes because hes "busy" playing. Hes 28 years old and I'm 18 and I'm not sure what to do? I do almost all the work around here!

1porcelain

Asked by 1porcelain at 2:43 AM on Jan. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• My Boyfriend used to do the same thing with his 360. I tried everything to get him to pay attention to our 3 yo and me. Nothing seemed to work. Until it got to the point that I told him I was ready to leave him over it. I was going through some bad emotional issues and I told him that he had failed in keeping his end of the relationship bargain. It may sound harsh. But seriously, if you have to go to that extreme, then you must. You need to explain to your BF that he is not being the best father he can be to his kids.
    If its hard for him to sit and listen to you (probably cause his face is 2 inches from the screen) then make him listen. Turn the TV off, hide a controller, unplug the dang cable. You and are kids should be far more important than his games, make him see that.
    D_mom05

Answer by D_mom05 at 2:54 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Once he does listen to you, do some compromising.
    Say that he can play after the kids are all fed, during naps or whatever. And then keep to that by not bugging him.

P.S. If he really really really refuses to stop playing the game to listen, a little body flaunting never fails. ;)
    D_mom05

Answer by D_mom05 at 2:56 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• You need to decide if this is really the situation in which you want to live. You can talk til you're blue in the face, but odds are he's not going to change. You can't make people change...they have to *want* to change.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:03 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Chuck the darn thing out the window, followed by him!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:33 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I think someone needs to "accidentallly" spill a big fat glass of koolaid on the thing!
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 8:57 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I would be spittin mad if my husband did that. Although he does play video games and likes them he is 30 and knows his responsibility's. He will play it when the kid's and I are napping. When we first got married I told him... look that habbit will not happen once kid's come along, I don't think he even play's once a week now. We have five kid's and one on the way, he doesn't have time for that!! Oh and you doing all the work, thta should stop, me and my husband do the laundry, dishes, mopping, you name it!!
    mommyqua

Answer by mommyqua at 9:10 AM on Jan. 17, 2009