School busses?

Our city does not provide school busses, creating a VERY crazy busy afternoon at the school with everyone picking up there children. When it is warm we walk. I do have a lady that picks my son up from school who lives across the street and I pick him up after the craziness. With Global Warming, you would think the schools would provide mass transportation for these kids! I guess this is more a vent than a question. Who else has issues with this?

MBsMom2004

Asked by MBsMom2004 at 2:48 AM on Jan. 17, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Most places won't provide bus transportation if the person lives close enough to walk. In our school, I think a child can walk 1 mile or less for school.There really isn't a reason to use buses when children live in walking distance of a school. Thats a lot of wasted taxpayers money.If you live close enough to walk then you don't need the transportation. Its really sad when a child has to get on a bus that lives 5 miles from school but is picked up when its dark outside.You are lucky you can walk your child to school. Not to mention its good for your heart and his/hers
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:24 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I'm pretty sure "global warming" will have no bearing on the provision of school transportation.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:56 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• The bus transportation has little to due with Global Warming and more to do with saving money. With the economic crisis in our country, they are cutting costs where ever they can.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 6:56 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Okay...because of global warming you want the school district to put more buses on the road, creating MORE exhaust and using up MORE gas/natural resources?

Um......sure.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:00 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• she mentioned GW because no buses means MORE cars driving kids to school. Jeez, people...READ and UNDERSTAND better!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:45 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Our city does not provide bus transportation because it's very small. A lot of the kids walk or ride their bikes in the appropriate weather, but when it's very cold (like yesterday), they are driven.

I don't really see it as a GW issue, at least in our city, because the kids that are usually driven are by their working parents.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 8:59 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• No buses mean more walkers. Yes, more cars, but the vast majority of those cars would be on the road anyway. Not to mention, cars are much more fuel efficient than buses!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Our city doesn't provide busing for kids that go to their neighborhood school because they all live with in 1 1/2 miles of a school. They only bus kids coming from other area (thanks to NCLB). Everyone else walks or drives. I always went to Catholic schools and they never offer bus service. It's your responsibility to get to school. Even in high school when the school was 40 blocks from my house. They only bussed kids that were within a 2 mile radius and it cost a fortune for the parents. I took public transportation (city buses).
    What I don't get are the people that live just blocks away and still drive their kids.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:40 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Most kids are more than a mile away...anyway, my point is that instead of a hundred cars driving to pick up their kids, have maybe 4 buses. Plus, people get there early to avoid the mess and leave their cars running for ten minutes while they wait. If I can, I walk with him (a lot of time I dont even get to bring him or pick him up because of work). He has bad hips, so walking can be painful.
    MBsMom2004

Answer by MBsMom2004 at 10:46 AM on Jan. 17, 2009