unexplained fevers......

My son is 17 months old. He seems to get sick once (if not twice) a month... He has had 3 febrile seizures, so when we see the thermometer hit 99 we get scared.... Every time he has been to the Dr, they say "it's probably just a virus" or "he has roseola" (he never got the rash that follows roseola)... When he has these fevers, he acts completely normal (unless it's really high)..... I would like some advice from anyone who has been in my situation, my husband and I are really frustrated... He never got sick until he was a year old..

vandmkinsey

Asked by vandmkinsey at 5:01 PM on Feb. 8, 2012 in Toddlers (1-2)

• could it be from teething? i've heard kids can get a fever from teething. mine never has, he just gets cranky.
    25MamaBear1986

Answer by 25MamaBear1986 at 5:17 PM on Feb. 8, 2012

• Thanks, He got all of his teeth in early... He has them all already except for his 2nd molars, and don't see a bump or anything to make me think that they're coming in yet..
    vandmkinsey

Comment by vandmkinsey (original poster) at 5:26 PM on Feb. 8, 2012

• I think you should find a new Pediatrician ASAP. I would start him on a Multivitamin right away if is not taking one already. Start extra cleaning habits now. When he comes in from being out with you, wash his hands & face immediately. If he is in daycare then speak to the person in charge there to upstep their cleaning procedures. When he gets home immediately bath him. No one comes into the house that is sick other then you & your DH. Keep wipes & antibacterial cleaner on hand when you are out. Wash your hands regularly & tell your DH to wash his hands & face when he comes home from work before he touches the child also. Sounds drastic but I have to say that my kids are rarely sick & one is in Preschool. He bathes as soon as he gets home. I use a cart cover at the grocery store too. Hope this helps! Also make sure he has had all his vaccinations.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 8:09 PM on Feb. 8, 2012

• Thanks for your help! I made an appointment to take him to an Ears nose and throat specialist.. so maybe that will help too.
    vandmkinsey

Comment by vandmkinsey (original poster) at 5:46 PM on Feb. 9, 2012

• Is he in some nursery school or day care program? They get sick there all the time until they build up immunities.

My daughter used to get fibrial seizures. They grow out of them by age 6. The ER doctor explain the seizures happen when the fever spikes very high very fast like going from 100 to 104 in 30 min. The body can't handle it and therefore they have the seizures.

Unlike ILovemyPaulie, I don't believe in over cleaning. Little kids need to build up immunities and by disinfecting everything their bodies don't have the chance. You don't have to live in a pig sty but you don't have to live under a bubble either.

My son used to get ear infections everytime he cut a tooth until the doctor said it's time to put in ear tubes. That did the trick. Talk with your doctor and ask him the hard questions. That's what he is there for.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 8:23 AM on Feb. 11, 2012