Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do I have a winning case with a lawyer?

Its because I just found out that my mother in law got a loan under my husband's name and she signed it with his name without his permission. The loan was of 8,828 dollars, now we're getting billed at our house for something we never got into. She use to work with loans so we called the bank to send us all the papers she signed and its not even my husbands signature. She had already done that to my husband a while back with capital one and she denied it but then we found out it was her because the agent told us her home phone so that was until she finally admited it, her excuse was to make him credit since we were barely starting out but she still charged on that capital one and left owing over 300 dollars and expected my husband to pay it. So my husband told her never to do that again and she obviously did it again with this other loan. We've never gotten a loan ever in

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:23 AM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

Answers (41)
  • yes.. thats fraud

    Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:24 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

  • That could also fall under identity theft. I would also go after whomever allowed her to sign your DH's nmae. That is fraud!!

    Answer by WAganma56 at 3:44 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

  • Oh, you definitely have a case, there! If it were me, I would be on a phone with a lawyer so quick, it wouldn't be funny. I just don't understand how she got away with signing your husband's name, unless it was one of those mailing things that you get where you're "pre-approved" and all you have to do is provide your SSN and signature and get a check in the mail. What is she doing with this money she's gotten? I'd sue for fraud, ID theft, AND pain and suffering - and be sure to have the debt wiped off from his name.

    Answer by TeensMom07 at 6:34 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

  • It's ID theft. you can get her on felony criminal charges. You can sue her and the bank that gave her the loan.

    Answer by prettylob1 at 7:26 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

  • You don't need an attorney. What you need to do is file a report with the police dept. The state will take care of it.
    I had this happen to me but it wasn't a family member. I had a woman that was cleaning my house once a week open up some joint accounts with my name and her name.
    You can contact the loan company too but they won't take your husbands name off without a police report. You'll have to send them a copy.

    Answer by PrttyMstng at 7:55 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

  • I'd say so. What a chity mother.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:56 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

  • You can sue the bank. Talk with your DH first though because he would have to press criminal charges against his mother or if he didn't the bank would. She needs some financial and therphy to figure out why she feels the need to do harmful things like this to her son.


    Answer by Anonymous at 7:58 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

  • Why sue the bank? Sue the mother unless you know the bank knew she was committing fraud. I get so sick of people always wanting to sue the bank, McDonald's etc.


    Answer by Anonymous at 8:01 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

  • The biggest fraud part is who allowed her to sign his name??? Why does she not ask for help if she needs money that's a scary situation I would check all the credit reporting groups and make sure there are no other surprises

    Answer by myrtlebeach at 8:30 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

  • Yes, you have a case. Even idf your dh knew about it, and even if he gave permission, it's still illegal if she doesn't have a Power of Attorney to sign her husbands name. (I have to get POA's for my dh's signature all the time for when he deploys and stuff.) Without the POA, the bank (or whoever) can go after me, and so can the govt.

    If she didn't have his permission - then that's even worse. Yes - you ABSOLUTELY have a case. If you're concerned about family fallout if you go after her, then I would consider just going to the bank and the police and saying "someone" did this, and let them investigate (you can tell them in who you suspect, of course). But honestly, I can see maybe cutting her some slack the 1st time, but now... honestly - fry her before she ruins you.

    Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:41 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.