did i do it right and what could it be? can dehydration cause vomiting?

My son woke up from throwing up. I immediately grabbed him and took him to the bathroom and wiped him down. i then layed him in my bed, while i cleaned his room up. changed his sheets, ect. well he stank so i threw the shower on and gave him a quick shower, which he was not happy about. i had to wrestle with him to clean him up, dry him off and get his pj's on. i brought him to his bed, tucked him in, and then changed my sheets. as soon as i was done with that, he started crying again. at first i thought it was because he wanted me, but when i checked on him, he threw up again. so i did the process all over again, with the exception of putting him in my bed, i had him stay in the bathroom, and didn't give him a shower since this time it didn't really get on him. did i do it all right? anyone know what this could be?

armywife43

Asked by armywife43 at 3:31 AM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• oh yeah he had no temp and i gave him tylonal but he threw it up.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 3:31 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• i would have done the same thing. but why did you give him tylenol if he didnt even have a temp?

maybe he ate something bad. idk what kind of adult food you give him but maybe it was something from that if you did?
    :( i hope he gets better
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:34 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• i gave him tylonal before i realized i should have checked his temp..i know, it all happened so fast, i just wasn't thinking straight. as for his diet, nothing's changed. you think i should make an appt or just wait it out?
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 3:38 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• understandable, i was just curious :)

i would wait a full 24 hours and see how he acts in the morning and throughout the day and note any change in his appetite, behavior and how many bowel movements that day too and then go from there...
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:41 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• thanks!
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 3:46 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• your welcome!! i hope he feels better! give him lovins!!

its sad when any little kid is in pain like that. it kills me lol.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:48 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I wouldn't rush off to the doctor. Sounds like the typical 24 hour stomach bug to me. If he isn't feeling better Sunday morning consider the doctor. Tomorrow I would do light foods. Or the brat diet. (toast, apples, bannans and rice). Chicken noodle soup and such. Good luck and hope he feels better soon. Yeppers you did the right thing.
    priddymom

Answer by priddymom at 5:59 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Of course you did the right thing! You are his MOMMY!! You know what to do and a small dose of tylenol won't hurt him. To answer your question about dehyration, yes. you can be dehyrated and still be vomititn. I know first hand b/c I did it for 3 weeks a few years back. Couldn't eat ANYTHING! (except water mellon and chamomile tea great diet to loose 15lbs in 3 weeks) and all I did was puke my guts out. Landed in the hospital 3x for dehudration. Lots of fun!
    Dianne1259

Answer by Dianne1259 at 6:24 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• My daughter's doen that too. It could just be bad food. I would offer watered down juices and toast. Save milk for last, just in case since it's a little harder on the tummy. My daughter eat fine the following morning like nothing had happened. It could also be a stomach bug and he may need some electrolites to drink while he's sick. Just keep an eye on him. If he seems ahppy and playful after he gets it out of his systems, then don't worry about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:47 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Give him pedialyte or gatorade. That will keep him hydrated. He may not feel like eating and may refuse milk all together. If he does, chicken broth is good and I'd call the doctor.
    KaroGreenly

Answer by KaroGreenly at 9:38 AM on Jan. 17, 2009