why doesn't my 9 month old like to drink water??

she is brestfed btw

SkysMum26

Asked by SkysMum26 at 7:14 AM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well my daughter like it either. And to be honest i totally understand that. it tastes like nothing :-/

Our daughter gets fennel baby tea (has enough water when u make it) and juices.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 7:17 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• doesnt like either*
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 7:18 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• thanks yeah lol i agree it tastes like nothing
    SkysMum26

Answer by SkysMum26 at 7:24 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Well its true ;)

Are you breastfeeding 100%?... Because if so, they usually get enough water anyway. But at 9months you can start giving juices too. Specific baby juices is what we buy all the time. And our daughter loves juice. xD
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 7:26 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• When my DD was 5 months old, I started giving her 1 oz of water in her bottle. She would take one sip and refuse to open her mouth. One day while giving her a bath I noticed she was drinking the water whenever the shower head sprayed against her lips..lol She's now 7 months and still refuses to drink it out of a bottle so I squirt it into her mouth with a medicine dropper so she can get a similar effect as the shower head ( I guess she likes the tickle) and she drinks it that way. I still offer it to her in a bottle daily before "squirting" and I realize that she tolerates it a little bit more now in the bottle as to were she now chews on the nipple and drinks some of the water before rejecting it. Good luck ;)
    MomToFour247

Answer by MomToFour247 at 7:28 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• my DD was chugging water the other night at dinner (she's 14 months). I had a friend over, and he was shocked! He said kids normally don't like water. I was suprised, because mine takes it so easily.

I breastfeed too. Perhaps if you put a splash of juice in the water your LO will like it better. When mine was sick with the stomach flu she didn't want to drink though she desperately needed it. A splash of juice in her water helped a lot . . . .
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 7:57 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I thought the only liquid they were supposed to get is breast milk...
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 8:16 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

Not at 9 months, you should be giving them juice and water as well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:38 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Water is not necessary at this age. Since their tummies are so tiny, it's best to fill it with nutrietion. Obviously water doesn't hurt them at this age either. I wouldn't be concerned if baby isn't drinking water. They don't really get "thrusty" so much as they creave nutrients. When they are older, running around, and more likily to need hydration, then they will start taking to water.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:43 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I don't think your baby needs water or juice at this time either. I breastfed all my kid's and they didnt' drink water until they started eating food which wasn't until one year old. My kid's never got juice and still don't. But think about it...would you want water after having sweet breastmilk? Heheheh I probably wouldn't.
    mommyqua

Answer by mommyqua at 9:02 AM on Jan. 17, 2009