Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you get a bigger tax return if you had a baby and you're a single mother??

Just wondering, I've heard it before but dont know if it was true.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 8:09 AM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (11)
  • yes ma'am, for instance, when i did my taxes for 2007 I had no baby and was single, i got a whopping 900ish, this year i'm getting close to 5,000.00. much much better.

    Answer by smnice at 8:11 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

  • awesome and does is matter how much you actually made?? because i didn't go back to work untill i only worked like..4 months.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:13 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

  • it's the child tax credit. Working, single mothers get an additional amount for each child. It is not based on your pay (like hourly) but you must earn so much (as a total) during the year to qualify. Plus if you are classified as head of household (which I am sure you are) then that qualifies you as well. It's a pretty good chunk of money.

    Answer by MammaMia72 at 8:16 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

  • your total refund will include your annual income as well. But the child tax credit is about 1,000.00 plus what mammamia said with the claiming head of household. I would think you will get no less than at least 2 or 3 grand.

    Answer by smnice at 8:19 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

  • The correct answer (as is the correct answer for *ANY* tax question) is IT DEPENDS. Bigger compared to what I will be getting? Bigger compared to what you got last year? Bigger compared to average? It depends on how much tax was withheld. The $1,000 tax credit (actually a little higher this year) is NOT refundable. It means it will help lower your liability to zero. There's a good chance all of the taxes you paid in will be refunded to you. The head of household deduction lowers your taxable income, so it's only lows are percentage of your tax. But very helpful, in general. There is also the Earning Income Credit. This is refundable. If you qualify for this, you could potential get back money that you didn't pay in. So it's very possible that you will receive a larger refund than you have in the past. How much? I cannot say w/o looking at all the facts.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:38 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

  • lol - anon explained what I was going to type, only much clearer :-)

    Assuming you file a straight, "no frills" return, taking the standard deductions, you will be able to deduct a flat rate for yourself as head of household. You will then be able to deduct for every dependent you have. If you make below a certain amount, you can get an earned income credit for your kids. So, in theory, yes, if all other things stay equal (you haven't moved up in a tax bracket, etc), then yes, because you can now claim your child on your taxes, you should get more money back. But honestly, if you have any questions, I would suggest investing the $20 or so in a good tax software program (or go into someplace that does taxes), because it will do a good job of walking you through, making sure you get all the deductions you're entitled to.

    Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:56 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

  • You do get a bigger return. If you qualify for earned income credit then you get that. If you dont you get a 1000 dollar credit per child.

    Answer by gemgem at 9:00 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

  • Yes, you do..When it was just my daughter and I-I got back almost 5,000....Than I got married and last Yr. We didn't even get back 2,000....

    Answer by kathynej7142007 at 9:32 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

  • The Head of Household status can only be used if you truly are head of household, meaning that you pay the majority of the mortgage/rent, the majority of food, clothing, entertainment, etc. There is alot of misinformation that believes that if you file HOH, it will help you get more Earned Income Credit. That is not correct.

    Answer by lifeasinoit at 10:11 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

  • continued....
    It is important that you file correctly, b/c the IRS is stating that they are auditing returns that claim HOH, yet their income does not reflect the ability to pay rent, food, clothing, etc expenses that care for the family. For instance, I have clients that come in and state they are HOH yet their income is less than say $7,000 or even $10000. In real life, the person who is NOT living with another adult that is helping pay expenses, is likely to be HUD assisted, receives food stamps and poss. TANF or (welfare payments.) This would knock out the ability to claim HOH, b/c it is a 3rd party (the government) that is head of household so to speak.


    Answer by lifeasinoit at 10:11 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.